- Title: It's not coming home - England fans' hopes dashed as Croatia win 2-1
- Date: 12th July 2018
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 11, 2018) (REUTERS) FANS LOOKING DEJECTED ENGLAND FLAG BEING HELD ALOFT THE FANS FANS LOOKING DEJECTED, SOME WITH HANDS ON THEIR HEADS
- Embargoed: 26th July 2018 01:01
- Keywords: FIFA World Cup World Cup semi-final Croatia v England Hyde Park fans supporters
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Sport,World Cup
- Reuters ID: LVA00I8OAZGHR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The evening started so brightly as Kieran Trippier gave England the lead against Croatia after five minutes but for fans watching the World Cup semi-final in London's Hyde Park that was as good as it got.
Supporters could only watch on in despair as Croatia reached the final for the first time thanks to an extra-time goal from Mario Mandzukic.
Ivan Perisic headed the ball into the area, the England defence hesitated and Mandzukic drove his finish past keeper Jordan Pickford with 11 minutes of extra time left to earn them a place in Sunday's final against France.
England got off to a flying start when Trippier curled in a free kick to put them ahead and they looked more dangerous throughout the first half.
Croatia took control after halftime and hit back when Perisic got in front of his marker to flick in a high cross from Sime Vrsaljko in the 68th minute.
Once Mandzukic gave Croatia the lead, England supporters were consigned to the fact that football wouldn't be coming home this year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None