- Title: Californians cast votes in first national elections since Trump's 2016 victory
- Date: 6th November 2018
- Summary: MANHATTAN BEACH, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 6, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING PEOPLE LINING UP TO VOTE WOMAN PUNCHING HOLES IN VARIOUS OF VOTER'S GUIDE PEOPLE VOTING PEOPLE STANDING IN LINE VOLUNTEER HANDING BALLOT TO VOTER PEOPLE VOTING 'VOTE' SIGN PEOPLE'S FACES AS THEY VOTE PEOPLE VOTING BRIGITTE FREDRIKSZ, 57, STAY AT HOME MOM, AND STEVE FREDRIKSZ, 55, COMMERCIALS PRODUCER, WALKING OUT OF POLLING PLACE (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRIGETTE FREDRIKSZ, 57, STAY AT HOME MOM, VOTED FOR DEMOCRATS, SAYING: "We're all together. Oh, I get teary eyed. And it's a time that we need to look after all of us, no matter what you look like, no matter what your skin color is, no matter what, we all need to be united as one RED, WHITE AND BLUE HEADBAND WITH STARS (SOUNDBITE) (English) VOTER RACHEL TORNEK, 40, STAY AT HOME MOM, VOTED FOR DEMOCRATS, SAYING: "I hope that, across the country, this will show a reflection of how the vast majority of people feel about the president. I am not a supporter of President Trump and I'm hoping that that will come through in the election and that the Democrats will be able to regain control of at least one of the houses of Congress." JACK NEAL, 57, PHYSICIAN, CONSIDERS HIMSELF A REPUBLICAN, STANDING WITH TWO FRIENDS, ONE HOLDING A SURFBOARD WITH 'I VOTED' STICKER (SOUNDBITE) (English) JACK NEAL, 57, PHYSICIAN, CONSIDERS HIMSELF A REPUBLICAN, SAYING: "I think, you know, for me, we're all confirming our choice two years ago and that's what I'm doing today. (Reporter asking: And what was your choice?) Republican. (Reporter asking: For Donald Trump?) Absolutely." PEOPLE WALKING DOGS, WEARING 'I VOTED' STICKERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PAUL MILLER, 62, WEALTH MANAGER, WAS A REGISTERED REPUBLICAN FOR MANY YEARS, NOW AN INDEPENDENT, SAYING: "I feel very strongly about civility and humanity and integrity and I think we've got some issues along those lines and I want to weigh in on that." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AND RUNNING ON BOARDWALK SURFER RIDING WAVE
- Embargoed: 20th November 2018 22:00
- Keywords: midterm elections voting polling booths voters campaign President Donald Trump
- Location: MANHATTAN BEACH, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: MANHATTAN BEACH, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00195DDAO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Californians cast their votes on Tuesday (November 6) in an election that will decide whether Donald Trump's Republicans maintain their grip on the U.S. Congress, or if Democrats gain the power to slow the president's agenda after a divisive campaign marked by clashes over race, immigration and trade.
The first national elections since Trump captured the White House in a stunning 2016 upset are a referendum on the polarizing president and a test of whether Democrats can turn the energy of the liberal anti-Trump resistance into victories at the ballot box.
The first polling stations close at 6 p.m. Eastern time (2300 GMT) with early results expected shortly after. A full picture likely will not begin to emerge until late at night.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None