- Title: Family and colleagues pay tribute to killed Ukrainian activist
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: MAN CRYING AND WALKING AWAY PEOPLE STANDING AROUND COFFIN DURING MEMORIAL SERVICE HANDZYUK IN COFFIN HANDZYUK'S FATHER TALKING TO TWO WOMEN WHO ARE CRYING PEOPLE BRINGING FLOWERS WOMEN DURING MEMORIAL SERVICE MEN BRINGING FLOWERS AND CROSSING THEMSELVES IN FRONT OF COFFIN CROSS BEARING SIGN READING (Ukrainian): "HANDZYUK KATERYNA VIKTORIVNA 17.06.1985 - 04.11.2018" (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) KHERSON MAYOR AND HANDZYUK'S COLLEAGUE, VOLODYMYR MYKOLAYENKO, SAYING: "I do not know what type a person one should be to doom a young girl to such a death and what for?" FUNERAL WREATH PEOPLE STANDING AROUND COFFIN DURING MEMORIAL SERVICE HANDZYUK'S FATHER AND TWO WOMEN DURING MEMORIAL SERVICE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) KHERSON ACTIVIST, NATALYA BIMBIRAYTE, SAYING: "I can say that she was a real fighter. She fought for real values, she knew how to do it. (She was) a professional journalist. She conducted many investigations, very serious investigations. She was a threat for those people who are destroying Ukraine and who eliminated her because of that." PEOPLE HOLDING FLOWERS ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) HANDZYUK'S FRIEND, TETYANA DOKUCHAYEVA, SAYING: "She is our very close friend, relative, God mother. She was an extremely smart, interesting, charismatic person. I have no words. She wanted to return very much. She was full of hopes, plans. She wanted to live very much, but she spent 96 days at crisis care center. And then her life ended abruptly." VARIOUS OF COFFIN BEING CARRIED AS MOURNERS CREATE CORRIDOR
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 16:25
- Keywords: Kateryna Handzyuk civil activist funeral murder acid attack Ukraine Kherson memorial service
- Location: KHERSON, UKRAINE
- City: KHERSON, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00395IAWCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Hundreds of mourners gathered on Wednesday (November 7) in southern city of Kherson to pay honour to Ukrainian activist Kateryna Handzyuk, who died after being severely injured in acid attack in July.
Family members, friends and colleagues, including city mayor Volodymyr Mykolayenko, attended memorial service.
Handzyuk, civil activist and UN volunteer, was assaulted on July 31 next to her apartment building. The attacker used sulfuric acid which burned almost 40 percent of her body.
After 11 surgeries, campaigner recorded a video address from her hospital room, urging authorities to investigate her case and attacks on other activists.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said on Tuesday (November 6) police found the killer, the accomplices and the organisers of the attack, but demanded full investigation of the case.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None