- Title: France's Aisne-Marne American cemetery prepares for WW1 commemorations
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: BELLEAU, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 6, 2018) (REUTERS) GRAVE OF AMERICAN SOLDIER WHO DIED IN 1918 PEOPLE WALKING IN CEMETERY AMERICAN FLAG FLYING GRAVE OF AMERICAN SOLDIER WITH U.S. AND FRENCH FLAGS VARIOUS OF CEMETERY AMERICAN FLAG FLYING GRASS AROUND GRAVES BEING CUT VARIOUS OF MAN CLEANING PATH IN CEMETERY AISNE-MARNE AMERICAN CEMETERY AND MEMORIAL SUPERINTENDENT, JAMES S. BERTELSON, WALKING IN CEMETERY (SOUNDBITE) (English) AISNE-MARNE AMERICAN CEMETERY AND MEMORIAL SUPERINTENDENT, JAMES S. BERTELSON, SAYING: "The Aisne-Marne American cemetery is the site of a battle. In the woods behind the chapel here, a very fierce battle was fought by 2nd (Infantry) Division. It was the battle of Belleau Wood, it's very famous. The United States marines earned their reputation for ferocity and aimed-rifle fire in Belleau Wood." BELLEAU WOODS VARIOUS OF CANONS PEOPLE WALKING IN WOODS MEMORIAL IN FRONT OF WOODS DEPICTING SOLDIER CARRYING GUN WITH BAYONET (SOUNDBITE) (English) AISNE-MARNE AMERICAN CEMETERY AND MEMORIAL SUPERINTENDENT, JAMES S. BERTELSON SAYING: "There is a young man, he's carried on the wall up there as missing. And he was killed on the day after his 16th birthday. His file is pretty dry but in his file is a letter from his mother to the government, and they're saying 'If and when we find his body, do you want him buried in France or would you like him taken home?' And she quite appropriately responded 'If you can't give my son back to me alive I don't want him to be back at all'." EXTERIOR OF CHAPEL IN CEMETERY VARIOUS OF NAMES OF SOLDIERS WHO DIED ON WALLS INSIDE CHAPEL FLAG BEING PULLED DOWN VARIOUS OF FLAG BEING FOLDED VARIOUS OF CEMETERY
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 14:35
- Keywords: World War One WW1 American cemetery Donald Trump memorial centenary Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial
- Location: BELLEAU, FRANCE
- City: BELLEAU, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00195J1ZD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Aisne-Marne American cemetery and memorial was making preparations on Tuesday (November 6) to commemorate one hundred years since the end of the First World War.
The graves of 2,289 American soldiers can be found in the cemetery, once the location of the Battle of Belleau Wood which took place in June 1918 near the Marne river in eastern France.
A memorial chapel was built in tribute to the fallen soldiers where their names are inscribed on the walls, including those of 1,060 missing in action.
According to French media, United States President Donald Trump is expected to attend a commemorative ceremony at the cemetery on Saturday (November 10).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None