- Title: Ted Cruz works to increase his lead in closely watched Texas senate race
- Date: 5th November 2018
- Summary: DALLAS, TEXAS, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 4, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** WIDE OF REPUBLICAN SENATOR TED CRUZ AT CAMPAIGN EVENT (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) REPUBLICAN SENATOR FROM TEXAS TED CRUZ, SAYING: "It would mean starting next year, 90 percent of Americans will fill out your taxes on a postcard. PEOPLE IN AUDIENCE HOLDING UP THEIR CELLPHONES (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) REPUBLICAN SENATOR FROM TEXAS TED CRUZ, SAYING: "Personally, I think it should be 100 percent and we should pass a simple flat tax and abolish the IRS (Internal Revenue Service). (APPLAUSE) SUPPORTER HOLDING UP SIGN READING "TED CRUZ" (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) REPUBLICAN SENATOR FROM TEXAS TED CRUZ, SAYING: "Where is my opponent, Congressman Beto O'Rourke on all these issues?" WIDE OF CRUZ (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) REPUBLICAN SENATOR FROM TEXAS TED CRUZ, SAYING: "Beto O'Rourke voted in favor of a ten dollar a barrel tax on oil on every barrel of oil produced in the state of Texas." CROWD CHANTING "USA! USA!" (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) REPUBLICAN SENATOR FROM TEXAS TED CRUZ, SAYING: "Beto O'Rourke has made very clear he would have voted no on justice Gorsuch and he would have voted no on justice Kavanaugh. And he wants to see the kind of left wing judicial activists who will undermine free speech, and undermine religious liberty, and under the second amendment and that's not what the people of Texas want to see." CROWD CHANTING "Build the wall! Build the wall!" (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) REPUBLICAN SENATOR FROM TEXAS TED CRUZ, SAYING: "The Second Amendment is about the fundamental right, the God given right each and every one of us has, that if anyone comes into your home and seeks to do harm to your family, the God given right to defend yourself and to defend your family." CROWD CHANTING "Ted! Ted! Ted!"
- Embargoed: 19th November 2018 05:37
- Keywords: Texs senate election Ted Cruz Republican
- Location: DALLAS, TEXAS, UNITED STATES
- City: DALLAS, TEXAS, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001958AXJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Senator Ted Cruz worked to increase his lead over rival Democrat Beto O'Rourke in the Texas senate race, during an appearance in Dallas on Sunday (November 4).
The latest polls show Cruz with a slim 6-point lead over O'Rourke, a margin that should be worrying in the traditionally red state of Texas.
Cruz on Sunday sought to paint O'Rourke as pro-taxes and anti-second amendment, a message that will not sit well with gun friendly Texans.
Cruz enjoyed a boost in the polls in late October following a visit and endorsement from fellow Republican President Donald Trump, his formal rival for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.
The race in Texas is seen as one of the Democrats' best shots at picking up one of the two U.S. Senate seats it needs to give the party a majority in the Senate and allow it to block Trump's agenda and exercise oversight of his administration.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None