- Title: Macron honours Battle of Morhange soldiers on WW1 memorial tour
- Date: 5th November 2018
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF MACRON GREETING FRENCH SOLDIERS WHO FOUGHT IN VARIOUS WARS VARIOUS OF MACRON STANDING IN FRONT OF SOLDIERS HISTORY ENTHUSIASTS
- Embargoed: 19th November 2018 11:04
- Keywords: Battle of Morhange France Germany French soldiers World War 1 centenary
- Location: MORHANGE, FRANCE
- City: MORHANGE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA003958BA6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday (November 5) paid tribute to the soldiers killed at the Battle of Morhange, on the second day of his week-long memorial tour for the World War One centenary.
Morhange, annexed by Germany after the Franco-Prussian war in 1871, was a German territory in 1914 and witnessed the start of one of the bloodiest periods of the war for France.
France lost around 5,000 soldiers as the Battle of Morhange raged on Aug. 19 and 20, 1914 across a 30-kilometre (18.6 miles) front, involving the towns of Morhange and Dieuze. The two towns were separated by front-lines in the Bride forest held by German units.
Around 27,000 soldiers were killed on Aug. 22, 1914 - the bloodiest day in French military history - in the battles of Morhange, Charleroi and Rossignol.
A memorial column was erected in the battlefield of Morhange, where Macron laid flowers.
The French president, who kicked off his WW1 memorial tour on Sunday (November 4) in Strasbourg, will be visiting about a dozen more towns until Saturday (November 10) and will be joined by various heads of state and ministers.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.