- Title: Germany: "Europe United" must be answer to Trump's "America First"
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (NOVEMBER 7, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER HEIKO MAAS ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE AT BERLIN'S FOREIGN MINISTRY (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER, HEIKO MAAS, SAYING: "We must find an answer to the motto 'America First' on this side of the Atlantic and to me and to us, it's clear that the response can only be 'Europe United.' We Europeans must cooperate even more closely which also means investing more into our own ability to act. That applies when it's about fighting back punitive tariffs and it applies to security issues or the fight against climate change." VARIOUS OF MAAS SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER, HEIKO MAAS, SAYING: "I do expect the Democrats to use their newfound power to influence White House policy. We'll see to what extent that has an impact. We hope that this cooperation will be constructive and lead to constructive results in international politics. We will very intensively look to contact those who were newly elected." WIDE OF MAAS SPEAKING
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 11:26
- Keywords: U.S. mid-term elections German reaction Foreign Minister Heiko Maas
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00195I91ZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Wednesday (November 7) that Europe must respond to U.S. President Donald Trump's "America First" agenda of tighter borders, protectionist economic policies and unilateralist diplomacy, with "Europe United".
He said he expected U.S. Democrats, who in Tuesday's midterm elections won control of the U.S. House of Representatives, to use their newfound power to more heavily influence Trump's policies.
"We'll see to what extent that has an impact. We hope that this cooperation will be constructive and lead to constructive results in international politics," Maas said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None