- Title: Disney celebrates Mickey Mouse's 90th birthday with a new exhibition
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: AMANDA ROSS-HO: OVERSIZED CLASSIC MICKEY RINGER TEE-SHIRT VARIOUS OF 'THE BAND CONCERT' INSTALLATION VARIOUS OF BLACK AND WHITE INSTALLATION (SOUNDBITE) (English) WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES DIRECTOR, BECKY KLINE, SAYING: "We wanted to tell Mickey's story from beginning to end and focus on the different things in his life that are the most relevant today, but also things that people might not know so much about. So, we started with the early Mickey cartoons in the '30s and worked our way all the way up to the present day and to these wonderful modern artists who are creating Mickey still." SIGN READING (English): 'INK & PAINT DEPT' HALLWAY WITH PAINT SAMPLES ENTRANCE TO MICKEY MOUSE CLUB SET VARIOUS OF 'MICKEY MOUSE CLUB' COSTUMES AND PROPS (SOUNDBITE) (English) WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES DIRECTOR, BECKY KLINE, SAYING: "Yeah that's Annette Funicello's 'Mickey Mouse Club' outfit. Probably the most famous sweater in the world is on that - is on that mannequin in the other room. It's a really beautiful piece, and it has the skirt and of course her shoes and socks and her very famous Mousketeer hat." VARIOUS OF CLASSIC AND CURRENT MERCHANDISING ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 21:36
- Keywords: Mickey Mouse birthday 90 exhibition art display minnie mouse Walt Disney
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00595ICIU1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Disney is celebrating Mickey Mouse's 90th birthday with the first-ever "Mickey: The True Original Exhibition" in New York.
Numerous contemporary artists were commissioned to reimagine the classic character with site-specific, reinterpreted Mickey Mouse installations.
"We worked closely with Disney archives and really pulled highlight moments from the archives and created these stories, these different rooms, these moments throughout the 16,000-square-foot exhibition," said curator Darren Romanelli.
The exhibition begins with Mickey's 1930s debut in the short film, "Steamboat Willie" and focuses on moments in Mickey's life that are most relevant.
The interactive space has numerous photo opportunities for visitors and even an ice cream stand with flavors created especially for the exhibit.
"Mickey: The True Original Exhibition" will run from November 8, 2018 to February 10, 2019.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None