- Title: Section of original Eiffel Tower staircase up for auction
- Date: 8th November 2018
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 8, 2018) (REUTERS) STAIRCASE BEING INSTALLED WORKER GOING UP THE STAIRS STAIRCASE IN COURTYARD (SOUNDBITE) (French) SPECIALIST OF ART DECO BUILDINGS AT ARTCURIAL, CECILE TAJAN, SAYING: "The staircase is valued between 40.000 and 60.000 euros. In 2016, we got a very good result because a similar staircase was sold for over 500.000 euros. We hope to gather bidders as enthusiastic as last time and get as good a result." STAIRCASE IN COURTYARD (SOUNDBITE) (French) SPECIALIST OF ART DECO BUILDINGS AT ARTCURIAL, CECILE TAJAN, SAYING: "It is a special event, it is a bit spectacular as you could see, because there is a whole system of cranes to drag the staircase which is 4.3 meters high and weighs 900 kilos. At Artcurial, we are used to this kind of operation as it is the third Eiffel tower staircase we are auctioning. It will be exhibited on the Rond-Point des Champs ElysÃ©es at Artcurial auction house until November 27, the day of the auction of the staircase." VARIOUS OF STAIRCASE IN COURTYARD
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2018 13:48
- Keywords: Eiffel tower spiral staircase auction Artcurial Paris
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00695NBFX5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A section of Eiffel Tower's original staircase will go on auction at the end of the month in Paris, where auction house Artcurial says it could fetch up to â‚¬500.000 ($572.000).
This original spiral staircase built in 1889 has been installed on Thursday (November 8) in Artcurial courtyard close to the Champs- ElysÃ©es.
The 4.3 meter-high section was part of the original staircase leading from the second to the third floor of Paris most renowned tower.
In 1983, the original staircase between those floors was dismantled after the installation of an elevator at the top floors.
It was then cut up into 24 sections, reaching 2 to 9 meters high.
In December of that year, all sections were auctioned off and scattered all around the world.
In 2016, Artcurial sold another section of the staircase which fetched over â‚¬500.000 ($572.000), a success the auction house hopes to renew.
Coming from a private Canadian collection, it is though only valued between â‚¬40.000 ($45.700) to â‚¬60.000 ($68.600).
The staircase can now be seen by the public and potential buyers until auction day on November 27.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None