- Title: Section of original Eiffel Tower staircase up for auction
- Date: 8th November 2018
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 8, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HISTORICAL EIFFEL TOWER SPIRAL STAIRCASE BEING INSTALLED IN AUCTION HOUSE ARTCURIAL COURTYARD
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2018 13:48
- Keywords: Eiffel tower spiral staircase auction Artcurial Paris
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00195NBFX5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A section of Eiffel Tower's original staircase will go on auction at the end of the month in Paris, where auction house Artcurial says it could fetch up to â‚¬500.000 ($572.000).
This original spiral staircase built in 1889 has been installed on Thursday (November 8) in Artcurial courtyard close to the Champs- ElysÃ©es.
The 4.3 meter-high section was part of the original staircase leading from the second to the third floor of Paris most renowned tower.
In 1983, the original staircase between those floors was dismantled after the installation of an elevator at the top floors.
It was then cut up into 24 sections, reaching 2 to 9 meters high.
In December of that year, all sections were auctioned off and scattered all around the world.
In 2016, Artcurial sold another section of the staircase which fetched over â‚¬500.000 ($572.000), a success the auction house hopes to renew.
Coming from a private Canadian collection, it is though only valued between â‚¬40.000 ($45.700) to â‚¬60.000 ($68.600).
The staircase can now be seen by the public and potential buyers until auction day on November 27.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None