- Title: Trial starts on Russian director Serebrennikov accused of embezzlement
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (NOVEMBER 7, 2018) (REUTERS) RUSSIAN THEATRE DIRECTOR KIRILL SEREBRENNIKOV (IN HAT), PRODUCER ALEXEI MALOBRODSKY (IN BLUE JUMPER) AND LAWYERS IN COURTROOM SEREBRENNIKOV AND MALOBRODSKY TOGETHER PROSECUTION VARIOUS OF SEREBRENNIKOV IN COURT ROOM VARIOUS OF COURT ROOM AHEAD OF HEARING VARIOUS OF COURT EXTERIOR
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 09:46
- Keywords: Russia theatre Russia art Serebrennikov Serebrennikov court Russia court Cannes Leto Cannes Serebrennikov
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA / CANNES, FRANCE
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA / CANNES, FRANCE
- Country: Various
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA00195IAVK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian court started hearing of the embezzlement case against a theatre and film director Kirill Serebrennikov on Wednesday (November 7).
Serebrennikov has already spent over a year under a house arrest.
Another suspect in the case producer Alexei Malobrodsky was also present in the court room.
Investigators say Serebrennikov led a criminal group and embezzled at least 68 million rubles ($1.15 million) in state funds earmarked for an art project.
Serebrennikov, art director at Moscow's avant-garde Gogol Center theater, faces up to 10 years in jail if found guilty. He says the funds were used to stage bona fide productions.
His case has raised an outcry among the liberal cultural elite who say they fear the director is being persecuted for his work.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None