- Title: Roof raised at Tokyo 2020 gymnastics venue
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: HOSOKAWA SPEAKING TO MEDIA
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 05:47
- Keywords: Tokyo 2020 Olympics Japan Olympics construction Tokyo 2020 Ariake Gymnastics Centre sport gymnastics boccia
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00395I8JSV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The second section of the timber roof at the Olympics Gymnastics Centre in Tokyo was raised on Wednesday (November 7), marking the halfway point of the construction of the temporary venue.
The roof of the 10,000-seat venue, which will host gymnastics at the Olympics and boccia at the Paralympics, will be raised in 200-tonne sections, with all five scheduled to be in place by May next year.
Construction at the venue is due to be completed by the end of October 2019 - in time for test events ahead of the summer showpiece. Tokyo 2020 organisers said construction was right on track, even if they still felt a huge amount of pressure to deliver the venue on time.
The venue, located in the Ariake district of the Japanese capital which will host many other Olympic events, will be used as an exhibition centre when the Games are over. However, it is only a temporary structure designed to be dismantled by 2030.
To make it easier for the materials to be recycled and also to showcase Japan's timber industry, the roof, which spans 90 metres, is made from local larch.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.