- Title: Wide-body jet model unveiled at China air show amid U.S. trade war
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: ZHUHAI, GUANGZHOU PROVINCE, CHINA (NOVEMBER 6, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** COMAC (COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT CORPORATION OF CHINA) UNVEILING MODEL OF CR929 JET CR929' S LOGO ON PLANE MODEL OF CR929 JET COMAC'S CHIEF DESIGNER FOR THE CR929 PROGRAMME, CHEN YINGCHUN, SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) COMAC'S CHIEF DESIGNER FOR THE CR929 PROGRAMME, CHEN YINGCHUN, SAYING: "Boeing from the U.S. and Airbus in Europe already manufacture this kind of wide-body long-haul jet. But now China and Russia are uniting to become another source of building this type of jets. We can be more efficient and perform better when we work together." ZHUHAI, CHINA (NOVEMBER 7, 2018) (REUTERS) PLANES OF PEOPLE'S LIBERATION ARMY AIRBORNE FORCES PERFORMING AEROBATICS MANOEUVRES VISITORS TAKING PICTURES PLANES PERFORMING AEROBATICS MANOEUVRES ZHUHAI, CHINA (NOVEMBER 6, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AIR BALTIC AIRBUS A-220 ON DISPLAY ZHUHAI, CHINA (NOVEMBER 7, 2018) (REUTERS) AIRBUS' COMMERCIAL OUTLOOK BRIEFING IN PROGRESS HEAD OF MARKET AND PRODUCT STRATEGY AT AIRBUS, BOB LANGE TALKING TO MEDIA JOURNALIST TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (English) HEAD OF MARKET AND PRODUCT STRATEGY AT AIRBUS, BOB LANGE, SAYING: "I don't see it (Chinese-Russian CR929 jet) as a threat to Airbus. I see it as a completely logical development when you consider that China absorbs between 20 and 25 percent of the deliveries of commercial aircraft every year. The growth potential in China is enormous. It's perfectly understandable and should be expected that Chinese aircraft manufacturing will grow." VARIOUS OF PLANES PERFORMING AEROBATICS MANOEUVRES PLANES DISPLAYED AT CHINA AIR SHOW VISITORS PASSING BY CHINESE MILITARY PLANES ON DISPLAY CHINESE MILITARY PLANE J-10 ON DISPLAY VISITOR TAKING PHOTO CHINESE MILITARY PLANE J-10 ON DISPLAY VISITORS PASSING BY CHINESE MILITARY PLANES
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 15:17
- Keywords: Airbus in China Chinese-Russian CR929 jet Chinese aviation market new aircraft
- Location: ZHUHAI, CHINA
- City: ZHUHAI, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA00195I8KNH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China and Russia on Tuesday (November 6) unveiled a life-size model of a proposed wide-body long-haul jet at the opening of China's largest air show, giving public shape to their joint efforts to break into a market dominated by Boeing and Airbus.
The biennial Airshow China, being held in the coastal city of Zhuhai from November 6-11, is traditionally an event for Beijing to parade its growing aviation prowess. This year, it comes as the country is dealing with a bruising trade war with the United States.
The Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC) and Russia's United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) showed off the model of the CR929's cockpit and passenger cabin in a ceremony that was attended by senior executives from both state-owned planemakers.
The mockup, which was 22 meters long, 6.5 meters tall and 5.9 meters wide, showed a roomy interior with 9-abreast basic seating in economy class. The cockpit contained dummy instruments, with actual systems yet to be chosen, including a sidestick similar to the flying control favoured by Airbus over the traditional control column.
UAC and COMAC announced they would cooperate on a wide-body jet programme in 2014 and they kick-started full-scale development of the programme three years later by forming joint venture China-Russia Commercial Aircraft International Corporation (CRAIC). To date, they have already sought proposals for the plane's engine and landing gear.
A senior COMAC executive said in June that the CR929 aims to make its maiden flight from 2023.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None