- Title: Macron attempts to calm Petain controversy
- Date: 8th November 2018
- Summary: VERDUN, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 6, 2018) (AGENCY POOL) VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON AT MILITARY CEREMONY TO COMMEMORATE BATTLE OF VERDUN, DURING TOUR OF IMPORTANT SITES IN WORLD WAR ONE
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2018 16:22
- Keywords: Petain Macron Marshal Philippe Petain World War One
- Location: FEIGNIES, VERDUN, VICHY, MORHANGE AND PARIS, FRANCE
- City: FEIGNIES, VERDUN, VICHY, MORHANGE AND PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00195NC5ZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron attempted on Thursday (November 8) to calm controversy around plans to honour Marshal Philippe Petain along with seven other World War One army leaders, despite his later collaboration with Nazi Germany during World War Two.
Macron's plan to honour Petain alongside others holding the distinction of marshal who directed military campaigns during World War One, which ended 100 years ago on November 11, has unleashed criticism from Jewish groups, political opponents and on social media.
As criticism mounted on Wednesday, Macron's aides said that only the five marshals buried at the Invalides monument in Paris would receive an official tribute.
On Thursday, Macron insisted there would be no individual commemoration for Petain, and also argued that Petain did have an important role in World War One.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.