- Title: Taiwan president commissions two US-made frigates in ceremony
- Date: 8th November 2018
- Summary: KAOHSIUNG, TAIWAN (NOVEMBER 8, 2018) (REUTERS) NAVY PERSONNEL STANDING IN FRONT OF PERRY-CLASS FRIGATE MISSILE LAUNCHER POINTING UP COMMANDO BRIDGE NEWLY COMMISSIONED PERRY-CLASS FRIGATE
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2018 06:13
- Keywords: Taiwan Military China security commission navy Tsai Ing-wen
- Location: KAOHSIUNG, TAIWAN
- City: KAOHSIUNG, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00195N9KQT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Taiwan's president Tsai Ing-wen commissioned two U.S.-made Perry-class guided missile frigates into service on Thursday (November 8) at a naval base in the south of the island.
Tsai said that Taiwan's navy will answer any threats posed by China to the security of its waters.
China has increased military exercises around Taiwan and in regional waters since the Tsai administration took power in 2016, prompting Taiwan's strongest international supporter, the U.S., to send warships into the Taiwan Strait in October, in a move likely viewed in self-ruled Taiwan as a sign of support from President Donald Trump's government amid growing friction between Taipei and Beijing.
Beijing, which has never renounced the use of force to bring Taiwan under its control, considers Taiwan a breakaway province of "one China".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None