- Title: Gunman kills 12 including deputy in crowded California bar
- Date: 8th November 2018
- Summary: THOUSAND OAKS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 8, 2018) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) VENTURA COUNTY SHERIFF GEOFF DEAN SAYING: "The weapon used in this horrific shooting was a Glock 21, 45 caliber handgun. The handgun is designed to hold in California 10 rounds and one in the chamber. This weapon did have an extended magazine on it. We do not know at this time how many rounds were actually in the weapon or how many rounds the magazine could actually hold because it's still being processed as part of the evidence." WIDE OF SHERIFF'S NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) VENTURA COUNTY SHERIFF GEOFF DEAN SAYING: "Sergeant Helus and the Highway Patrol officer went in and they immediately exchanged gunfire with the suspect and that's when the . . . Sergeant Helus was shot several times." WIDE OF SHERIFF AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) VENTURA COUNTY SHERIFF GEOFF DEAN SAYING: "It's not . . . we believe he shot himself when the officers went in and made re-entry, he . . . they found him already deceased." POLICE BARRICADE AT EXTERIOR OF SHOOTING, WITH POLICE VEHICLE IN VIEW
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2018 16:09
- Keywords: news conference shooting Sheriff Ventura County Thousand Oaks suspect weapon
- Location: THOUSAND OAKS AND NEWBURY PARK, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: THOUSAND OAKS AND NEWBURY PARK, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA00395NC3LZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A U.S. Marine Corps veteran opened fire on a crowd of mostly college students and young adults dancing at a crowded country and western bar in a suburb of Los Angeles late on Wednesday (November 7), killing 12 people including a sheriff's deputy.
Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean named the suspect, who was also killed, as Ian Long, aged 28. Dean told a news conference Long had likely shot himself.
He said he appeared to have shot at random, using only a Glock .45-caliber handgun. There was no known motive.
An unknown number of people were wounded in the shooting at the Borderline Bar and Grill, a popular venue with college students and young adults in the suburb of Thousand Oaks. Wednesday was dubbed "College Country Night".
Deputies were at the suspect's house seeking a search warrant. The gun used in the attack was a Glock handgun, which is designed to hold up to 10 rounds and one in the chamber.
The dead officer was identified as Sergeant Ron Helus, a 29-year veteran of the department, Dean told reporters. Helus and a California Highway Patrol officer were the first to arrive at the bar and went inside just before 11:30 p.m. PST (0730 GMT).
Dean estimated that 10 to 15 people, including one with a gunshot wound, had gone to area hospitals. He said he thought their injuries were minor, and that most of them were likely injured as they escaped, some by breaking windows.
None of the civilian victims were identified. Helus died while being treated at an area hospital several hours after he was shot, Dean said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None