- Title: Macron and May visit French-British WW1 memorial in the Somme
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: THIEPVAL, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 9, 2018) (AGENCY POOL) MAY AND MACRON GOING DOWN STAIRS OF THIEPVAL MONUMENT MAY AND MACRON GREETING VETERANS MAY AND MACRON LEAVING
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 15:40
- Keywords: Thiepval memorial French and British soldiers Theresa May Emmanuel Macron World War One
- Location: THIEPVAL, FRANCE
- City: THIEPVAL, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00295SC8XZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Theresa May visited the World War One French-British memorial of Thiepval in northern France on Friday (November 9).
They laid a wreath combining poppies and le bleuet, the two national emblems of remembrance, made for the occasion.
Thiepval's memorial stands on high ground overlooking the Somme River, where some of the heaviest fighting of World War One took place. It commemorates more than 72,000 British and South African soldiers who died and have no known grave.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None