- Title: Macron visits museum dedicated to remembering World War One
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: PERONNE, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS FOR AGENCY POOL) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON TALKING TO CHILDREN OUTSIDE HISTORIAL DE LA GRANDE GUERRE MUSEUM (GREAT WAR HISTORY MUSEUM) MACRON THANKING CHILDREN, AS THEY PUT PAPER FLOWERS ON PLANT BOX MACRON GREETING RESIDENTS RESIDENTS WAITING IN LINE TO GREET MACRON MACRON HUGGING ELDERLY MAN, AND ASKING HIM (French) "What must we do?"/ MAN ANSWERING (French) "We must hold tight." GREAT WAR HISTORY MUSEUM MODEL OF WORLD WAR ONE SOLDIER IN UNIFORM, WITH TOOLS, AMMUNITION, COOKING MATERIALS AND PERSONAL OBJECTS MACRON LOOKING AT EXHIBITION WORLD WAR ONE SOLDIER MODEL GUNS MACRON LISTENING TO MUSEUM OFFICIALS (SOUNDBITE) (French) DIRECTOR OF HISTORIAL DE LA GRANDE GUERRE MUSEUM IN PERONNE AND THIEPVAL, HERVE FRANCOIS, SAYING: "We must keep in mind that for France and for the French people, it was nearly 30 percent of young men between 18 and 30 years old who died. We must keep in mind the nearly 1 million, the 800,000 widows, that there were 1.5 million orphans. In short, one in 12 children are orphaned." VARIOUS OF MACRON SIGNING GUEST BOOK (SOUNDBITE) (French) DIRECTOR OF HISTORIAL DE LA GRANDE GUERRE MUSEUM IN PERONNE AND THIEPVAL, HERVE FRANCOIS, SAYING: "Gathering international leaders for this armistice - which is falsely understood as the end of the war -- gathering the heads of state is a very strong symbol to ask the question of how to deal with tensions - we can have differences - but how do we manage them to avoid war." WORLD WAR ONE SOLDIER UNIFORM ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 18:51
- Keywords: Emmanuel Macron museum commemoration World War One armistice
- Location: PERONNE, FRANCE
- City: PERONNE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00195SCMDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French President Emmanuel Macron made his final stop in Peronne in northern France on Friday (November 9), to cap his six-day long World War One memorial tour, to visit a history museum and hold a discussion with war historians.
The Historial de la Grande Guerre de Peronne (Great War History Museum of Peronne), a town that lay in the frontlines in World War One, is an international research centre bringing together expertise from France, the United States, Germany and Great Britain.
It brings together the different perspectives of the war, without focusing on the victor or the loser, its director Herve Francois said. It displays soldiers' personal objects, ammunition found in battlefields, uniforms and war propaganda.
The Great War that ravaged Europe killed 10 million soldiers, and 8 million civilians, Francois said - and in France alone, one out of 12 children were left orphans and two-thirds of women widowed.
The World War One armistice will be celebrated on November 11 in Paris, gathering about a 70 heads of state and governments.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None