- Title: Macron welcomes Britain's May ahead of WW1 commemoration ceremony
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: ALBERT, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS) MACRON AND MAY SHAKING HANDS THEN GOING INSIDE CITY HALL
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 14:07
- Keywords: Theresa May Emmanuel Macron commemoration ceremony World War One
- Location: ALBERT, FRANCE
- City: ALBERT, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00495SBOEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed British Prime Minister Theresa May on Friday (November 9) for a working lunch at the northern French city of Albert.
The two leaders will then attend a World War One commemoration ceremony at the Thiepval Memorial.
Thiepval's memorial stands on high ground overlooking the Somme river, where some of the heaviest fighting of World War One took place. It commemorates more than 72,000 British and South African soldiers who died and have no known grave.
The visit came during a diplomatic tour for May which also took in a NATO dinner in Brussels with speculation swirling about the imminence of a Brexit deal which both Britain and the EU say is 95 percent done.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None