- Title: Rags to riches: Russian fashion designer creates costumes from garbage
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: KURSK, RUSSIA (RECENT - NOVEMBER 5, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MODELS ON CATWALK, SHOWING COSTUMES MADE BY ECO-FASHION DESIGNER ARTUR BRAZHE
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 13:25
- Keywords: eco-fashion fashion design sustainable fashion environmentally friendly upcycling environemntal impact
- Location: KURSK, RUSSIA
- City: KURSK, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00195SB67T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Artur Brazhe, an eco-fashion designer from the western Russian city of Kursk, truly believes that one's man's trash is another man's treasure.
He has been creating clothes and costumes out of recyclable materials - known as 'upcycling' - for years, preferring those that damage the nature the most, like plastic bottles and bags, aluminum cans, construction waste.
Once in a while he visits junk-yards and dumps near his home, not only to get inspired but also to collect things and materials to give them a second life.
While he previously worked alone, Brazhe no longer has to collect all his materials himself as he receives donations from supporters of various kinds of rubbish. "I have no shortage" he says.
Brazhe and his works won several Russian fashion contests, including 'Russian Silhouette', a prestigious award for new fashion designers for his collection of costumes made out of newspapers.
Russia's Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment stated in a 2016 report that only 2-3 percent of domestic waste is properly recycled. The problem of pollution and littering poses a serious threat to the nature, the ministry says.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.