- Title: Russian foreign minister "unpleasantly surprised" by Austrian spying suspicions
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (NOVEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** AUSTRIAN AMBASSADORIAL CAR ARRIVING, AUSTRIAN AMBASSADOR TO RUSSIA JOHANNES EIGNER EXITING CAR AND ENTERING RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY HEADQUARTERS RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY HEADQUARTERS RUSSIAN FLAG AMBASSADOR EIGNER EXITING LEAVING BUILDING CAR LEAVING PLAQUE ON WALL READING (Russian) MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 11:47
- Keywords: Russia Austria Sergei Lavrov Austria Russia spy allegations Austrian ambassador spy scandal informant
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00195SB4NB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: FOOTAGE ADDED AT LATER TIME (AMBASSADOR SUMMONED)
Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said he was "unpleasantly surprised" by the news about a retired Austrian colonel suspected of spying for Moscow on Friday (November 9).
Speaking at a news conference in Moscow after his talks with foreign minister of Comoro Islands Mohamed El-Amine Souef, Lavrov said that "in accordance with international rules of communication, it is necessary to request explanations directly".
A senior Austrian military officer is believed to have spied for Moscow for decades, Vienna said earlier on Friday, adding to a list of recent Russian espionage cases and souring relations with arguably the country's closest ally in the EU.
Austria was in the minority of EU countries that did not expel any Russian diplomats over the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Britain, which London has blamed on Moscow. Russia denies any involvement.
Foreign Minister Karin Kneissl, who danced with Russian President Vladimir Putin at her wedding in August, has cancelled a planned trip to Moscow over the case. She has also summoned the Russian charge d'affaires since the ambassador is outside the country.
Russia had in turn summoned the Austrian ambassador, Lavrov told reporters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None