- Title: Vietnam president welcomes Cuban counterpart in Hanoi to boost ties
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF VIETNAMESE AND CUBAN DELEGATION SITTING DOWN AT MEETING TABLE TRONG SPEAKING DIAZ-CANEL LISTENING TRONG SPEAKING CUBAN DELEGATION LISTENING TRONG SPEAKING TRONG SPEAKING BESIDE DELEGATION DIAZ-CANEL SPEAKING TRONG LISTENING MEETING IN PROGRESS DIAZ-CANEL AND TRONG STANDING AT LECTURN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN PRESIDENT, MIGUEL DIAZ-CANEL, SAYING: "We reaffirmed that the agreements, both those that we signed in Havana during Comrade Trong's visit, and those we will sign on this occasion, help boost our multi-faced cooperation and contribute to new investment projects between our countries." DIAZ-CANEL AND TRONG AT THE PRESS BRIEFING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN PRESIDENT, MIGUEL DIAZ-CANEL, SAYING: "Cuba thanks Vietnam for their unwavering support in the fight to lift, immediately and unconditionally, the unfair economic, commercial and financial blockade of Cuba." CUBAN AND VIETNAMESE FLAGS VARIOUS OF THE SIGNING OF DOCUMENTS VIETNAMESE OFFICIAL SIGNING THE TWO OFFICIALS EXCHANGING DOCUMENTS, HAND SHAKES AND WALKS EXTERIOR OF THE GOVERNMENT OFFICE IN HANOI DIAZ-CANEL SHAKING HAND WITH VIETNAMESE PRIME MINISTER, NGUYEN XUAN PHUC BUST OF HO CHI MINH MEETING IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF PHUC SPEAKING DIAZ-CANEL LISTENING VIETNAMESE DELEGATION DIAZ-CANEL SPEAKING PHUC LISTENING CUBAN DELEGATION VIETNAMESE DELEGATION LISTENING MEETING IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 07:30
- Keywords: Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel Vietnamese President Nguyen Phu Trong Presidential Palace
- Location: HANOI, VIETNAM
- City: HANOI, VIETNAM
- Country: Vietnam
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00395S7Y2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: SHOTLIST TO BE UPDATED SHORTLY WITH VERIFIED TRANSLATIONS
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel arrived in Vietnam on Thursday (November 8) and received a state welcome ceremony, hosted by his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Phu Trong in the capital city of Hanoi.
Trong and Diaz-Canel witnessed the signing of trade agreements before taking part in a bilateral meeting in a trip aimed at strengthening ties between the "communist brothers".
Vietnam is Cuba's second largest trading partner in Asia with the first being China. Two-way trade consists mostly of rice, textiles, footwear, coal, computers, electronics, wood and coffee.
Diaz-Canel's visit took place a few days after the 58th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the two countries. This is his first official Asian tour since assuming office in April, where he visited North Korea and China before visiting Vietnam.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None