- Title: Lightning strikes death toll mounting in India
- Date: 22nd June 2016
- Summary: NALANDA, BIHAR, INDIA (JUNE 22, 2016) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI-NO ACCESS BBC) SIGNBOARD IN HINDI PEOPLE CRYING BESIDE THE BODY OF A MAN KILLED BY LIGHTNING STRIKE INJURED MAN WRAPPED IN SHEET PEOPLE SITTING BESIDE ANOTHER INJURED MAN POLICE OFFICIALS TALKING TO PEOPLE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) VILLAGE DEVELOPMENT OFFICER, RAM G PASWAN, SAYING: "To escape (rain), they took shelter in a house, but lightning struck them. Four persons died on the spot while two others were injured, out of which one is serious, he has been sent (to Patna hospital) by ambulance." MEN STANDING BESIDE A PERSON (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) A LOCAL WITNESS, RAVINDRA KUMAR, SAYING: "Around 10-20 people were sitting, when lightning struck them, leaving 11-12 people unconscious, four are dead while the rest are injured." PEOPLE STANDING
- Embargoed: 6th July 2016 19:42
- Keywords: lightning deaths storms India
- Location: NALANDA, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: NALANDA, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA0014NBZK93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
The death toll due to lightning in India's eastern state of Bihar rose to 59 after four more bodies were recovered from Nalanda district on Wednesday (June 22).
India has seen a surge in lightning deaths, with 93 people killed just in the past two days, officials said.
Reports of causalities are also pouring in from other parts of the state. Local authorities said that the death toll is likely to rise.
In Bihar's capital city, Patna, 13 people have been reportedly injured by the storms.
Meanwhile, state chief Nitish Kumar, had announced an ex-gratia amount of rupees four lakh (6,000 USD) for the kin of the deceased.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None