- Title: INDIA: Earthquake rocks eastern and north-eastern India
- Date: 19th September 2011
- Summary: BENGALI NEWS CHANNEL REPORTING THE EARTHQUAKE FAMILY SITTING AND WATCHING TELEVISION
- Embargoed: 4th October 2011 11:18
- Location: India, India
- Country: India
- Topics: Disasters
- Reuters ID: LVABCP9UKY1LH86GGFGAJPS21VT2
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: An earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale struck the India-Nepal border, 64 kilometres from Gangtok, the capital of north-eastern India's Sikkim state, on Sunday (September 18).
Tremors were felt as far away as the national capital, New Delhi. There were aftershocks shortly after the main tremor, with intensities of 6.1 and 5.3 on the Richter scale respectively.
In Siliguri city of eastern India's West Bengal state, locals came out of their homes after the first tremors shook the town at 1811 hours IST. No lives were lost.
"I have never seen an earthquake like this, and probably, neither has anyone else in Siliguri. A 65 year old temple in our locality has collapsed," said Mahesh Roy, a local resident.
In the state capital Kolkata, the residents felt the tremors on a milder scale.
"In fact, I could not feel the tremor of this shaking, but now I have seen in the TV that the shaking is really unthinkable. It is almost 6.1 Richter scale," said Anindya Das, a local.
The tremors were also felt in Patna, capital of neighbouring Bihar state, as people rushed out of their homes.
"I felt the floor move all of a sudden. I told my friend that it was an earthquake. It hardly lasted more than ten or fifteen seconds. All of us ran downstairs," said Rakesh Kumar, a resident.
The maximum impact of the tremors was felt in Sikkim, with several buildings reported damaged.
Initial media reports said at least two people died in India and four were killed in Nepal as a result of the quake.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.