- Title: U.S. foreign policy in Trump's first two years: 'Our country is respected again'
- Date: 7th December 2018
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - APRIL 6, 2018) (REUTERS) WOLFGANG'S STEAKHOUSE / CHEF TAKING STEAK AWAY FROM GRILL STEAK SIZZLING ON A PLATE BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - APRIL 16, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WHISKEY BAR OWNER LIU FENG, POURING AMERICAN WHISKEY INTO GLASS LOGO OF WHISKEY READING (English): "BASIL HAYDEN'S KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKEY" HEBEI PROVINCE, CHINA (FILE - FEBRUARY 18, 2014) (REUTERS) EMISSIONS RISING FROM FACTORIES THAT BURN COAL MAN SHOVELLING COAL EMISSIONS RISING FROM FACTORIES THAT BURN COAL YAJI MOUNTAIN, GUANGXI, CHINA (FILE - MARCH 21, 2018) (REUTERS) FEED BEING PUMPED INTO DISPENSER / PIG EATING PIG EATING QUFU, SHANDONG PROVINCE, CHINA (FILE - JULY 4, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BOTTLES BEING FILLED WITH OIL HANDAN, HEBEI PROVINCE, CHINA (RECENT - JUNE 24, 2018) (REUTERS) CHICKS ON CONVEYOR BELT VARIOUS OF CHICKS FALLING INTO BOX Beijing says it would be "forced to make a necessary counterattack" after U.S. tariffs on $34bn (Â£25.6bn) of Chinese goods came into effect. The 25 percent duties apply to Chinese machinery, electronics and other high-tech equipment including cars, computer hard drives and LEDs. China says it responded after U.S. raised tariffs "unfairly" as trade war begins BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - JULY 6, 2018) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN LU KANG, SAYING: "From yesterday afternoon to midday today, China's state council tax regulation commission, commerce ministry's spokesperson and customs have already released relevant information. After the United States unfairly raised tariffs against China, China immediately put into effect higher tariffs on some U.S. goods." President Donald Trump released a new list of $200 bn in goods that could receive a 10 per cent tariff. The new list directly takes aim at Fortune 500 companies outsourcing components or material to China, in sectors ranging from auto parts, to processed food and ingredients, to construction materials. The latest round of tariffs are subject to a period of consultation that runs until the end of August. China says 'bully' United States started a trade war. GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - JULY 12, 2018) (REUTERS) BOARD READING (English and Chinese) "CHINA AND THE WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION" (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHINA DEPUTY TRADE MINISTER, WANG SHOUWEN, SAYING: "This action and the measures taken are in, are against the interests of China; they are against the interests of the U.S. businesses, consumers, workers and farmers; they are hampering the global economic growth...They are just a trade bully." China's Xi urges global institutions to fight trade protectionism.
- Embargoed: 21st December 2018 18:31
- Keywords: tariffs UK COP24 Brexit sanctions trade war Nuclear Netanyahu Rouhani nuclear deal Theresa May Russia EU Iran Republicans Emmanuel Macron Xi Jingpin China Trump alliances Iran leader Jerusalem Xi Macron detention center global warming Guatemala. Honduras Saudi Arabia foreign policy Congress Caravan Vladimir Putin Chinese president G20 climate change Ali Khamenei North Korea immigrants Mexico foreign relations
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA01D99YXNPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: FOR EXTENSIVE FILE VIDEO OF TRUMP'S DOMESTIC AGENDA, PLEASE SEE EDIT 0425-USA-ELECTION/TRUMP-DOMESTIC POLICY
FOREIGN POLICY CONTINUES IN EDIT: 0426-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY PART 1
Donald Trump assumed the office of the President of the United States with a pledge to "make America great again."
Half-way through his first term, Trump claims that task has been accomplished, telling audiences at any of his frequent political pep rallies that "our country is respected again all over the world".
But, in the arena of U.S. foreign policy, whether Trump has engineered a solidification of America's position in the world, or whether he has weakened America's status as the pre-eminent global economic, military, and moral force, is a question that is sharply debated within America's fractious politics.
Few dispute, however, that whatever Donald Trump is doing in his foreign policy, it is unlike the way any previous U.S. president operated on the global stage.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None