- Title: U.S. foreign policy in Trump's first two years: 'Our country is respected again'
- Date: 7th December 2018
- Summary: INTERNET (FILE - JULY 16, 2018) (REUTERS) (MUTE) SCREEN GRAB OF A STATEMENT FROM DAN COATS, TRUMP'S DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE, READING (English): "The role of the Intelligence Community is to provide the best information and fact-based assessments possible for the President and policymakers. We have been clear in our assessments of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and their ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy, and we will continue to provide unvarnished and objective intelligence in support of our national security." Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke.
- Embargoed: 21st December 2018 18:31
- Keywords: tariffs UK COP24 Brexit sanctions trade war Nuclear Netanyahu Rouhani nuclear deal Theresa May Russia EU Iran Republicans Emmanuel Macron Xi Jingpin China Trump alliances Iran leader Jerusalem Xi Macron detention center global warming Guatemala. Honduras Saudi Arabia foreign policy Congress Caravan Vladimir Putin Chinese president G20 climate change Ali Khamenei North Korea immigrants Mexico foreign relations
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00599YXNPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: FOR EXTENSIVE FILE VIDEO OF TRUMP'S DOMESTIC AGENDA, PLEASE SEE EDIT 0425-USA-ELECTION/TRUMP-DOMESTIC POLICY
FOREIGN POLICY CONTINUES IN EDIT: 0426-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY PART 1
Donald Trump assumed the office of the President of the United States with a pledge to "make America great again."
Half-way through his first term, Trump claims that task has been accomplished, telling audiences at any of his frequent political pep rallies that "our country is respected again all over the world".
But, in the arena of U.S. foreign policy, whether Trump has engineered a solidification of America's position in the world, or whether he has weakened America's status as the pre-eminent global economic, military, and moral force, is a question that is sharply debated within America's fractious politics.
Few dispute, however, that whatever Donald Trump is doing in his foreign policy, it is unlike the way any previous U.S. president operated on the global stage.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None