- Title: Rohit smashes third ODI double ton in India's big win
- Date: 13th December 2017
- Summary: MOHALI, PUNJAB, INDIA (DECEMBER 12, 2017) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC) PRACTICE SESSION IN PROGRESS DHONI BATTING IN THE NETS INDIAN CRICKETER AXAR PATEL TALKING WITH HIS TEAMMATE
- Embargoed: 27th December 2017 22:34
- Keywords: One Day International ODI Rohit Sharma cricket Mohali Sri Lanka India
- Location: MOHALI, PUNJAB, INDIA
- City: MOHALI, PUNJAB, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Cricket,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0057BR1KCF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Opener Rohit Sharma smashed his third one-day international (ODI) double century to set up India's comprehensive 141-run win against Sri Lanka in the second match of the series at Mohali on Wednesday (December 13).
Leading the hosts in the absence of rested skipper Virat Kohli, Sharma laid waste to the Sri Lankan bowling with an unbeaten 208 off 153 deliveries to help India post 392 for four in their 50 overs. India leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal then took three for 60 as the hosts restricted Sri Lanka to 251 for eight in their 50 overs to square the three-match series at 1-1.
Sharma said he was only trying to lead the team to a strong position to ensure a win post their humiliating loss in the first match of the series. With seven hundreds under his belt this year, Sharma termed 2017 as the "best year" of his decade-old international career.
The right-handed batsman hit 13 fours and 12 sixes with his first 100 coming off 115 deliveries in the 40th over. Rohit then tore into Sri Lanka's bowlers and India scored 147 in their last 10 overs.
Sri Lankan batting coach Thilan Samaraweera was awestruck by Sharma's innings but felt that his team's bowling plans didn't work out and cost them the match.
It was the seventh time a batsman had scored 200 or more in ODIs with Sharma's 264 against the same opponents in Kolkata in 2014 being the highest individual score in the 50-over format.
The third and final ODI will be played in southern Visakhapatnam city on Sunday (December 17) before the two teams meet in a three-match Twenty20 series.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None