- Title: Rain forecast may bring relief to deadly India heatwave
- Date: 21st May 2016
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (MAY 21, 2016) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI - Broadcasters: NO ACCESS BBC Digital: NO ACCESS BBC) HEAT HAZE ON A ROAD NEAR THE PRESIDENTIAL RESIDENCE, THE RASHTRAPATI BHAVAN VARIOUS OF BIRDS ON FOUNTAIN INDIA GATE WAR MEMORIAL PEOPLE NEAR INDIA GATE PEOPLE DABBING HEADS WITH CLOTH BIRDS ON THE GROUND DRINKING WATER VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN SHADE MORE OF PEOPLE NEAR INDIA GATE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DIRECTOR OF THE INDIA METEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT, B.P. YADAV, SAYING: "We are hoping that on May 23 and 24 a Western Disturbance (weather system) will arrive. Then there will be chances for dust storms and rain, and the temperature will likely not increase. We are hoping that in the next few days, until May 25, temperatures will not change much." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN FOUNTAIN (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) TOURIST, RAJESH TALPADE, SAYING: "We didn't know it would be so hot here but now, after visiting, we know how hot it can be. Instead of spending money on food people are spending it to buy water. This year has indeed been very hot." KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (MAY 21, 2016) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI - Broadcasters: NO ACCESS BBC Digital: NO ACCESS BBC) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE COVERED AGAINST THE SUN AND DUST POLICE OFFICER DRINKING WATER MAN DRINKING WATER MORE OF PEOPLE WALKING, COVERED AGAINST THE SUN AND DUST (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LOCAL RESIDENT, NEERAJ KUMAR, SAYING: "We are facing a lot of problems due to the scorching heat. We are praying to gods for an early monsoon so that people get some relief as the heat has taken a toll on our bodies. We are not even able to do our daily chores properly." BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA (MAY 21, 2016) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI - Broadcasters: NO ACCESS BBC Digital: NO ACCESS BBC) VARIOUS OF MAN MAKING JUICE FROM SUGAR CANE MAN DRINKING SUGAR CANE JUICE A WOMAN WALKING WITH UMBRELLA VARIOUS OF MEN MAKING JUICE MORE OF MAN DRINKING JUICE
- Embargoed: 4th June 2016 15:50
- Keywords: hot India heat weather
- Location: NEW DELHI, KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, KANPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, BHOPAL, MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA0014IR2GQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Rainfall predicted across India's north in the next few days may bring some relief to a deadly heatwave that has killed at least 150 across the country.
Forecasts by the India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Saturday (May 21) suggest a storm may bring rain and dust storms on Monday and Tuesday (May 23 and May 24) to Punjab, Rajasthan, and capital New Delhi.
New Delhi reached a high of 43 degrees Celsius (108 Fahrenheit) that day, three degrees higher than normal according to AccuWeather. Temperatures are not expected to change significantly during the event, the IMD said.
The incoming weather system is known as a "Western Disturbance", cyclones originating in the Caspian or Mediterranean seas that are the principle drivers of rainfall on the Indian subcontinent outside its July to September monsoon season.
India regularly suffers life-threatening heat waves. Periods of extreme temperatures have led to thousands of deaths since the 1990s.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None