- Title: Rescuers on war footing as flooding hits India
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: PATAN, GUJARAT, INDIA (JULY 26, 2017) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC) MAN STANDING IN WATER, PEOPLE STANDING BY WATER FLOWING PEOPLE STRANDED ON GROUND SURROUNDED BY FLOODWATERS PEOPLE IN BOAT RESCUING PEOPLE AMID HEAVY RAIN RESCUE OPERATION IN PROGRESS AMID HEAVY RAINS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DISTRICT COLLECTOR, PATAN, ANAND PATEL, SAYING: "Around 10,000 people have been shifted or evacuated. The local administration and the state government are providing all possible help to address the complaints from low lying areas where water logging has been reported." PATAN, GUJARAT, INDIA (JULY 26, 2017) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC) FLOODED RESIDENTIAL AREA/PEOPLE STANDING IN WATER BUILDING SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER WATER FLOWING, GROUP OF PEOPLE STANDING PEOPLE LOOKING ON AS WATER FLOWS BY MEN TALKING, LOOKING AT A FLOODED AREA HELICOPTER APPROACHING HELIPAD HELICOPTER IN AIR RESCUED PEOPLE GETTING OUT AND WALKING AWAY FROM HELICOPTER PALI, RAJASTHAN, INDIA (JULY 26, 2017) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC) VARIOUS OF FLOODWATERS GUSHING MEN STRUGGLING TO PULL A MOTORBIKE AGAINST THE CURRENT OF FLOODWATERS GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (JULY 26, 2017) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC) RIVER WATER FLOWING FLOODED AREA MAN DESILTING AT RIVER BANK WATER LEVEL SCALE MAN DESILTING AT RIVER BANK RIVER FLOWING GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (JULY 26, 2017) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC) EXTERIOR OF OFFICE OF ASSAM STATE DISASTER MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY (ASDMA) ASDMA LOGO (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi and English) ADDITIONAL SECRETARY AND STATE PROJECT COORDINATOR, ASSAM STATE DISASTER MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY, RAJIB PRAKASH BARUAH, SAYING: "Floods like situation in Assam is improving fast. As of now there are 22 relief camps." GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (JULY 26, 2017) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC) (MUTE) BOATS IN RIVER
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 15:22
- Keywords: Flood waters monsoon in India rivers in spate Gujarat flooding flooding rescue
- Location: PATAN, GUJARAT/ PALI, RAJASTHAN/ GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA
- City: PATAN, GUJARAT/ PALI, RAJASTHAN/ GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RCUEDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Floods and relentless rain in India's western state of Gujarat have killed at least 75 people and displaced over 25,000 over the past three weeks, officials said on Wednesday (July 26).
Monsoon rains have lashed western and eastern India, leaving several states fighting to contain the flood fury that has affected thousands and killed hundreds.
Anand Patel, the District Collector of Patan, Gujarat, said that around 10,000 people had been shifted or evacuated. Air force helicopters were carrying out sorties to drop food packets to those stranded.
In neighbouring Rajasthan, a usually arid state, six people were killed in three flood-hit districts.
Meanwhile, the waters were receding in northeast India, where at least 105 people had lost their lives due to floods and landslides in the past month that had hit 60 districts across Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Manipur states.
India receives 80 percent of its annual rainfall during the monsoon season that runs between June and September.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None