- Title: INDIA: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev arrives in India on a three-day visit
- Date: 5th December 2008
- Summary: (WD) NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 4, 2008) (ANI) AIRCRAFT ON RUNWAY ANAND SHARMA, INDIA'S JUNIOR FOREIGN MINISTER, WITH SHIVSHANKAR MENON (GREY HAIR, GLASSES), INDIAN FOREIGN SECRETARY (CIVIL SERVANT), AT THE AIRPORT DMITRY MEDVEDEV, RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, COMING DOWN THE STAIRS OF THE AIRCRAFT MEDVEDEV MEETING SHARMA AND MENON MEDVEDEV WITH SHARMA CONVOY LEAVING
- Embargoed: 20th December 2008 10:24
- Location: India
- Country: India
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVAC3W72AWY940W8NXJII395022P
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev arrived in India on Thursday (December 4) for a three-day visit.
Indian junior foreign minister Anand Sharma and foreign secretary Shivshankar Menon met him at the airport.
During the visit, Medvedev is expected to hold talks with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and meet President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil and Vice-President Hamid Ansari.
Medvedev said before his arrival that Russia might lease nuclear-powered submarines to India as part of deepening defence ties. He also said Moscow stood ready to help with the investigation into attacks in Mumbai that killed 171 people and with broader questions of fighting terrorism.
India, which is nuclear armed, has blamed the attacks on groups based in neighbouring Pakistan, which also has atomic weapons. The two countries have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947, but appear at pains to avoid any conflict over the Mumbai events.
Russia is one of the world's major arms exporters. It has a fleet of nuclear-powered but conventionally armed submarines besides its strategic nuclear-armed vessels, which are not sold abroad.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None