- Title: Restaurant in India replaces waiters with robots
- Date: 17th December 2017
- Summary: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (DECEMBER 13, 2017) (ANI - NO ACCESS MEDIACORP/BBC/ARD) PEOPLE SEATED INSIDE THE RESTAURANT AS ROWS OF ROBOTS MOVE WITH FOOD TRAYS VARIOUS OF THE ROBOTS MOVING WITH FOOD TRAYS CHILDREN SITTING A ROBOT MOVING WITH FOOD A WAITER PICKING UP A PLATTER OF FOOD FROM A ROBOT'S TRAY AND PLACING IT ON THE TABLE (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER OF 'ROBOT' RESTAURANT, KARTHIK KANNAN, SAYING: "We researched quite a bit, for almost one year, and we tried out different theme restaurants designs and all that. Later on, we finally decided that we could do something different which is not there in India. That is when we decided on the robot theme restaurant where we could bring robots to actually bring the food. I have seen these in a lot of abroad countries. So that is when we decided okay, let's, why not bring it to India." CLOSE OF A ROBOT BRINGING A FOOD PLATTER/A WAITER PICKS UP THE PLATTER AND PUTS IT ON THE TABLE MORE OF ROBOTS WITH FOOD TRAYS MOVING BETWEEN SEATS A CUSTOMER, ROOPA, PICKING UP A FOOD PLATTER ROOPA TAKING PICTURES WITH THE ROBOT (SOUNDBITE) (English) A CUSTOMER, ROOPA, SAYING: "We didn't expect such quick delivery and all that. It is very quick and they are very interactive and we are enjoying along with the robots." A WOMAN PICKING UP A FOOD PLATTER FROM THE ROBOT ROBOT MOVING WITH FOOD TRAY AS A CHILD WATCHES PEOPLE DINING AT THE RESTAURANT CLOSE OF A FOOD TRAY (SOUNDBITE) (English and Hindi) A CUSTOMER, ANKIT AGERWAL, SAYING: "Everything is organised. Everything is working out smoothly. Moreover, if something new is always welcome." ROBOTS MOVING A CUSTOMER HAVING FOOD MORE OF A ROBOT MOVING WITH FOOD PAN OF TRAFFIC ON ROAD/EXTERIOR OF RESTAURANT 'ROBOT' MORE OF EXTERIOR OF RESTAURANT BOARD READING (English): 'ROBOT THEME RESTAURANT'
- Embargoed: 31st December 2017 08:32
- Keywords: Robot restaurant Chennai Chinese restaurant dumplings waiters Tamil nadu
- Location: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- City: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Science
- Reuters ID: LVA0017CAVU57
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A restaurant in India's southern Chennai city is trying to revolutionise customer service by introducing robot waiters to deliver food and drinks.
At the 'Robot' restaurant, a tray-wielding humanoid roams the eatery, delivers food to patrons and collects the dirty dishes and takes it back to the kitchen. The restaurant formerly known as 'Momo' was re-launched as 'Robot' after the founding partners Venkatesh Rajendran and Karthik Kannan decided to include technology with gourmet.
Customers can order food at this restaurant that largely comprises of Thai and Chinese cuisines using only phone tabs that are placed at every table. A customer, Roopa, said she was astonished on how smoothly the restaurant was functioning in the absence of actual waiters.
Use of service robots is a common phenomenon in many countries. The demand for service robots is expected to accelerate in the next three years as robots - already used to perform tasks such as assisting medical surgery, milking cows or moving objects around warehouses - become more popular for domestic and personal use.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None