- Title: INDIA: Indias Modi visits mother before leaving for PM swearing-in ceremony
- Date: 22nd May 2014
- Summary: AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT, INDIA (MAY 22, 2014) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI - NO ACCESS BBC) OFFICIALS GATHERED AT AIRPORT MODI MOTORCADE ARRIVING / MODI SITTING IN FRONT OF VEHICLE / MODI GETTING OUT OF VEHICLE MODI SURROUNDED BY MEDIA FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Gujarati) INDIA'S PRIME MINISTER-DESIGNATE, NARENDRA MODI, SAYING: "I thank all the friends from all section of media from bottom of my heart." MODI LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE AND GETTING INTO VEHICLE
- Embargoed: 7th June 2014 01:56
- Location: India
- Country: India
- Topics: Politics,Religion,Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA33FAIZHX4GG2AVZ0S6HU3RTGT
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: India's Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi visits his mother Hiraba in the western city of Gandhinagar and accepts her blessings before leaving for his swearing-in ceremony in New Delhi.
India's Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi visited his mother Hiraba in the western city of Gandhinagar and accepted her blessings on Thursday (May 22), before leaving to New Delhi for his swearing-in ceremony.
Modi, who will take oath on Monday (May 26), thanked the media for its co-operation as he arrived at the airport.
"I thank all the friends from all section of media from bottom of my heart," he said.
Modi's Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won 282 seats, 10 more than the majority required to rule in 543-member house.
With its allied parties, it was a comfortable tally of around 336 - the clearest result since the 1984 assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi propelled her son Rajiv to office.
On Wednesday Modi invited the leaders of Pakistan and other neighbours to his inauguration in an unprecedented move, signalling his aspirations to be a regional leader.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None