- Title: Excavation underway at Ethiopian plane crash site
- Date: 10th March 2019
- Summary: NEAR BISHOFTU, ETHIOPIA (MARCH 10, 2019) (REUTERS) EXCAVATOR AND BULLDOZER WORKING AT CRASH SITE WITH PEOPLE AT SCENE PLANE DEBRIS ON GROUND CIGARETTES SCATTERED ON GROUND TORN SHIRT ON GROUND PLANE DEBRIS AND PERSONAL BELONGINGS ON GROUND BEHIND POLICE TAPE AMBULANCE DRIVING PAST CAMERA EXCAVATOR WORKING AT CRASH SITE CROWD WATCHING EXCAVATION WORKS PLANE DEBRIS ON GROUND, MAN PASSING BY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING EXCAVATION
- Embargoed: 24th March 2019 17:54
- Keywords: plane crash Ethiopian Airlines crash scene plane wreckage
- Location: NEAR BISHOFTU, ETHIOPIA
- City: NEAR BISHOFTU, ETHIOPIA
- Country: Ethiopia
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001A5FTXZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Excavation works began on Sunday (March 10) at the site where an Ethiopian Airlines passenger jet bound for Nairobi crashed, killing all 157 people on board.
Sunday's flight left Bole airport in Addis Ababa at 8:38 a.m. (0538 GMT), before losing contact with the control tower just a few minutes later at 8:44 a.m.
The aircraft had shattered into many pieces and was severely burnt, a Reuters reporter at the scene of the crash said.
Clothing and personal effects were scattered widely over the field where the plane came down.
There was no immediate indication of what caused the crash and safety experts said it was too early to speculate, adding most accidents are caused by a cocktail of factors.
(Production: Kumerra Gemechu, Maheder Haileselassie, Robert Waweru, Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None