- Title: SRI LANKA-AMAL CLOONEY Amal Clooney meets journalists in Sri Lanka
- Date: 11th September 2015
- Summary: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (SEPTEMBER 11, 2015) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF HOTEL AMAL CLOONEY WALKING INTO MEETING CLOONEY SHAKING HANDS WITH JOURNALISTS VARIOUS OF CLOONEY AND COLLEAGUE JARED GENSER SPEAKING TO JOURNALISTS JOURNALISTS CLOONEY LEAVING MEETING CLOONEY SPEAKING TO MEDIA HANDLER AND LEAVING
- Embargoed: 26th September 2015 13:00
- Location: Sri Lanka
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAES2ZPFNCY25ZT82MMPX6SLYR3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: International human rights lawyer Amal Clooney and her colleague Jared Genser met with journalists in Sri Lanka on Friday (September 11) as they continue their efforts to free jailed former Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed.
They met Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena as well as the top British and American envoys based in Colombo on Friday.
On Tuesday (September 8), Clooney met with Nasheed, who was ousted in 2012 and convicted of terrorism for ordering the arrest of a judge.
The Maldives' first democratically-elected leader is serving a 13-year jail term.
The United Nations, the United States and human rights groups have said President Abdullah Yameen's government failed to follow due process during the quick trial and that the case against Nasheed was politically motivated.
Following a 90-minute discussion with Nasheed, Clooney said the former president was in "remarkably good spirits".
U.N. human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al-Hussein last week called on Yameen's government to release Nasheed.
He also called for a review of criminal cases against several hundred of Nasheed's party supporters who have been arrested in protests since May in the Maldives.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None