- Title: Hundreds of students attend Christchurch vigil
- Date: 18th March 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF STUDENTS CRYING DURING MOMENT OF SILENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS, WHO GAVE ONLY THEIR NAMES (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT) SOPHIE, ASHLEY, AND ELLA, SAYING: ASHLEY: "It's not the same. It's not the same anymore, like..." SOPHIE: "Every sound scares me." ASHLEY: "Everything seems to scare you more now that this has happened. Like, it's never going to be the same as what it was."
- Embargoed: 1st April 2019 06:27
- Keywords: New Zealand shooting vigil
- Location: CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
- City: CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
- Country: New Zealand
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003A6JQA13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of students from high schools in Christchurch held a candlelight vigil and a moment of silence on Monday (March 18) to remember victims of the New Zealand mosque attack.
That was followed by a Haka, a ceremonial Maori dance to mourn the victims and honour those killed in the mass shootings.
At least 50 people have died at two mosques, as authorities prepared to begin releasing the bodies of the victims to their families.
Friday's (March 15) attack in the city of Christchurch, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has labelled as terrorism, was the worst ever peacetime mass killing in New Zealand.
(Production: Joseph Campbell, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None