- Title: YEMEN-SECURITY Heavy blast rocks military site in Yemen capital
- Date: 11th September 2015
- Summary: SANAA, YEMEN (SEPTEMBER 11, 2015) (REUTERS) THICK BLACK SMOKE RISING EXPLOSION VARIOUS OF THICK BLACK SMOKE RISING
- Embargoed: 26th September 2015 13:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAAHEHJ2FM3NRHPZGOT5GLYO74Q
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A heavy explosion rocked a military site in the Yemeni capital early on Friday (September 11) as Saudi-led coalition warplanes bombarded rebel positions.
Thick black smoke could be seen rising from the site said to be beside the Yemen TV channel.
Several houses were damaged but no information on casualties was immediately available.
War planes from a Saudi-led military alliance bombed Yemen's capital Sanaa on Thursday (September 10), in what witnesses described as the fiercest attacks on the city in over five months of war.
The air strikes hit houses of political leaders in the Iran-allied Houthi movement and military bases, as explosions and wailing ambulance sirens forced a sleepless night on the city's nearly 2 million shell-shocked residents.
The United Nations on Thursday said peace talks aimed at ending the conflict in Yemen are set to resume next week in the region and urged all parties to participate "in good faith".
Saudi Arabia and Arab allies intervened in March to try to restore Yemen's president to power and roll back the Iranian-allied Houthi militia. The war has brought the country to the brink of famine and peace talks have yet to end the fighting.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None