- Title: EUROPE-MIGRANTS/SERBIA-MIGRANTS RAIN Migrants shelter from rain in Belgrade
- Date: 10th September 2015
- Summary: BELGRADE, SERBIA (SEPTEMBER 10, 2015) (REUTERS) PARK WITH TENTS IN CITY CENTRE TWO MIGRANTS FIXING TENT IN RAIN/BOY KICKING BALL BOY CROUCHING IN RAIN AND LOOKING AT CAMERA MIGRANTS PACKING UP TENTS IN RAIN GROUP OF MIGRANTS IN RAIN COVERED IN SHEET OF PLASTIC MIGRANTS WITH BELONGINGS ON PARK BENCH COVERED IN PLASTIC SMALL CHILD HOLDING PIECE OF CHOCOLATE MIGRANTS PACKING TENT IN RAIN MIGRANT WOMAN TALKING ON MOBILE PHONE WHILE STANDING IN RAIN CHILD STANDING AT ENTRANCE TO TENT CHILD PULLED INTO TENT/TENT CLOSING
- Embargoed: 25th September 2015 13:00
- Location: Serbia
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA7SR8IQ29D93VIJFGXLRLKCK9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Migrants in Belgrade were forced to take shelter on Thursday (September 10) as wet weather hit Serbia's capital.
The migrants, who camp in parks near Belgrade's bus station, were surprised by a heavy downpour, forcing them to retreat into small tents.
Others used plastic sheets to save themselves and their belongings from the rain, with many more trying to stay dry in doorsteps of nearby buildings.
Hundreds of migrants - mostly Syrian - arrive in Belgrade every day on the so-called Balkan route which takes them from Greece through Macedonia and Serbia into Hungary, a stepping stone for other countries in western Europe.
Migrants travelling the route are in a hurry to reach the border with Hungary after Hungarian government announced a set of new, stricter, laws on illegal immigration would come into force later this month.
Hungary may complete construction of a fence up to 4 metres (13 feet) high along its southern border with Serbia by early October, Janos Lazar, the prime minister's chief of staff, said on Thursday.
As a frontline state in the crisis, Hungary says it needs to reinforce the border to avoid being overwhelmed by the influx.
Over 176,000 have crossed into Hungary in 2015, most looking to move on to western Europe.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None