- Title: Gazans bury dead of overnight border protests
- Date: 30th March 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MARCH 30, 2019) (REUTERS) MEN CHANTING IN FUNERAL PROCESSION, CARRYING BODY ON MAN KILLED BY ISRAELI FIRE DURING OVERNIGHT CLASHES ALONG BORDER WITH ISRAEL MEN CARRYING BODY ON STRETCHER, CHANTING MEN SHOOTING RIFLES INTO AIR MEN CARRYING BODY ON STRETCHER INTO ALLEYWAY TODDLER, BROTHER OF MAN KILLED, CRYING MOTHER OF MAN KILLED CRYING WOMEN WALKING IN ALLEYWAY MEN CARRYING BODY ON STRETCHER THROUGH ALLEYWAY EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
- Embargoed: 13th April 2019 12:53
- Keywords: Israel Gaza Palestinians Hamas border protests dead funeral
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001A87PJ5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Gazans marched through the alleyways of Gaza city on Saturday (March 30) in a funeral procession for a man killed by Israeli fire near the border with Israel earlier on Saturday, while thousands of Palestinians rallied at the frontier to mark the first anniversary of a surge of protests, facing off against Israeli forces massed across the frontier.
Gaza medics said the man was killed by Israeli fire before dawn on Saturday near the boundary. The Israeli military said it had no knowledge of the death and that Palestinians were throwing explosive devices at the border fence through Friday night.
As the funeral took place, Israeli troops fired tear gas across the border and the Israeli military said some demonstrators threw rocks, grenades and burning tyres towards them.
Confrontations have mounted this week ahead of the commemoration of the 'Great March of Return' protests, which began on March 30, 2018. A Gaza rocket attack wounded seven Israelis north of Tel Aviv on Monday (March 25) and, in response, Israel launched a wave of air strikes and ramped up its forces at the border.
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Lianne Back)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None