- Title: Palestinian tries to stab West Bank settler, is shot dead - Israel
- Date: 3rd April 2019
- Summary: NEAR NABLUS, WEST BANK (APRIL 3, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS AT SITE MILITARY VEHICLES AT JUNCTION SOLDIERS MORE OF SOLDIERS AND MILITARY VEHICLES AT JUNCTION CARS, SOLDIERS AND MILITARY VEHICLES
- Embargoed: 17th April 2019 09:57
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians attack dead Nablus West Bank
- Location: NEAR NABLUS, WEST BANK
- City: NEAR NABLUS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001A8WP6BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A knife-wielding Palestinian tried to stab Israelis in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday (April 3) and was shot dead by one of them, the Israeli military said.
A Palestinian official questioned the Israeli account, demanding that Israel release any CCTV footage of the incident at Hawara junction, near the city of Nablus.
The West Bank, among territories where Palestinians seek statehood, has seen surges of street attacks on Israeli settlers and soldiers since U.S.-backed peace talks stalled in 2014. Palestinians say Israel's armed response has been excessive.
Yehoshua Sherman, a West Bank settler, told Israel Radio that he was driving slowly through the intersection with his daughter when a Palestinian charged at their car.
"He jumped at me with a knife, trying to open the doors," Sherman said. "I drew my handgun ... wound down the window and shot at him from inside the car." A second motorist also fired at the Palestinian, hitting him, Sherman added.
The Israeli military said in a statement that "a terrorist was shot by a civilian and neutralised after he tried to carry out a stabbing attack". Israel's Beilinson Hospital said a man admitted with gunshot injuries from the incident died.
A Palestinian security source said initial information that he had indicated the dead man had been trying to cross the road.
(Production: Ashraf Shaweesh, Rinat Harash)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None