- Title: Gaza teenager killed during border protests
- Date: 12th April 2019
- Summary: MEN KISSING DEAD MAN'S FACE MEN AND MEDIA SURROUNDING BODY PALESTINIANS OUTSIDE HOSPITAL AMBULANCE LEAVING HOSPITAL SIGN READING (Arabic):" MORGUE" VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS GATHERED OUTSIDE HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS HOLDING FUNERAL PROCESSION FOR DEAD TEENAGER
- Embargoed: 26th April 2019 20:44
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians protests march killed Gaza-Israel border
- Location: JABALIYA, KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- City: JABALIYA, KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA003AA5OSP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Israeli troops shot dead a Palestinian teenager taking part in protests along the Gaza border on Friday (April 12), Palestinian health officials said, the first fatality since Gazans marked the one-year anniversary of the weekly demonstrations in March.
The Israeli military said about 7,400 Palestinians massed along the frontier, some throwing rocks, and that there were several attempts to approach the fence into Israel.
The Palestinian Health Ministry said a 15-year-old boy died after being shot by Israeli gunfire. An Israeli army spokesman said the troops were responding with riot dispersal means.
Tensions rose after a rocket fired from Gaza wounded seven Israelis north of Tel Aviv on March 25. Israel mounted a wave of air strikes following that attack on targets it said belonged to Hamas, the Islamist group which rules the coastal enclave.
The protesters are demanding an end to a blockade imposed on Gaza by Israel and Egypt, and want Palestinians to have the right to return to land from which their families fled or were forced to flee during Israel's founding in 1948. Israel rejects any such return, saying it would eliminate its Jewish majority.
More than 200 Gazans have been killed by Israeli troops since the 'Great March of Return' started on March 30 last year, according to Gaza health officials. An Israeli soldier was also killed by a Palestinian sniper.
(Production: Mohammad Shana/ Suheir Sheikh/ Jim Hatley)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None