- Title: Israel kills Hamas commander in first targeted strike in years
- Date: 5th May 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 5, 2019) (REUTERS) MEN GATHERING AROUND BURNING CAR AFTER AN ISRAELI STRIKE HIT THE VEHICLE, KILLING A HAMAS COMMANDER/FIRE FIGHTERS TRYING TO EXTINGUISH FIRE BURNING CAR FIRE FIGHTER, MEN APPROACHING CAR MEN NEAR BURNING CAR FIRE MORE FIREFIGHTER TRYING TO EXTINGUISH FIRE MEN IN AND AROUND BURNING CAR MEN IN STREET NEARBY MEN TRYING TO PUT OUT FIRE BURNING IN RUNNING WATER DOWN THE STREET VARIOUS OF CROWD GATHERED AROUND CAR
- Embargoed: 19th May 2019 14:50
- Keywords: Israel Gaza Hamas commander killed in targeted strike Hamed Ahmed Abed Khudri
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ADMI0CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israel killed a Hamas commander in the Gaza Strip on Sunday (May 5) in what the military described as a targeted strike and Palestinians said was the first such action since the 2014 war in the Palestinian enclave.
A military statement said that Hamed Ahmed Abed Khudri had been responsible for transferring funds from Iran to armed factions in Gaza. Palestinian witnesses said he was killed in an air strike on his car.
During Sunday, rockets from Gaza killed three people in an Israeli city while five Palestinian militants died in surging cross-border fighting that included a return by Israel to singling out enemy commanders for attack.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he ordered the military to continue "massive strikes" against Gaza's ruling Hamas group and Islamic Jihad, in the most serious border clashes since a spate of fighting in November.
Israel's military said more than 450 rockets, many intercepted by its Iron Dome anti-missile system, have been fired at southern Israeli cities and villages since Friday (May 3), and it attacked some 220 targets belonging to Gaza militant groups.
(Production: Mohammed Shanaa, Lianne Back, Lee Marzel)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None