- Title: Palestinians bury 14-month old baby killed in fighting in disputed circumstances
- Date: 5th May 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 5, 2019) REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAHMOUD ABU ARAR, FATHER OF DECEASED INFANT SEBAA MAHMOUD ABU ARAR, CARRYING HER BODY IN HIS ARMS DURING FUNERAL PROCESSION MORE OF INFANT BODY BEING CARRIED BY MOURNERS DURING FUNERAL PROCESSION BODY OF INFANT'S AUNT BEING CARRIED DURING FUNERAL PROCESSION (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAHMOUD ABU ARAR, FATHER OF DECEASED INFANT SEBAA MAHMOUD ABU ARAR, SAYING: "The children were playing and they were struck by a missile shot from a drone, Israeli bombardment of a missile shot from a drone struck them." ASHKELON, ISRAEL (MAY 5, 2019) REUTERS) ISRAELI MILITARY SPOKESPERSON LIEUTENANT-COLONEL JONATHAN CONRICUS TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) ISRAELI MILITARY SPOKESPERSON LIEUTENANT-COLONEL JONATHAN CONRICUS SAYING: "We are aware of these Palestinian claims. What I can now confirm is that these claims are false. The unfortunate death of that woman and baby were not a result of IDF (Israeli Defence Forces) activity, rather a result of the use of weapons by terrorist organisations in that area in the southern Gaza Strip. They were not killed by Israel. It's of course a tragic event but not at the hands of Israel." GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 5, 2019) REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MOURNERS CARRYING BODY OF INFANT DURING FUNERAL PROCESSION MORE OF FUNERAL PROCESSION, MOURNERS CARRYING BODY OF WOMAN
- Embargoed: 19th May 2019 14:58
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians Gaza Hamas baby funeral
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA/ASHKELON, ISRAEL
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA/ASHKELON, ISRAEL
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ADMH007
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Hundreds of mourners marched on Sunday (May 5) in a funeral procession for a 14-month old Palestinian baby, and a woman, initially identified as her pregnant mother, but later named by family as the infant's aunt, who were killed in fighting between Israel and Hamas, in disputed circumstances.
The Gaza Health Ministry said the baby, named Sebaa Mahmoud Abu Arar, and the woman were killed by Israeli strikes and at least 20 other Palestinians were wounded during an overnight Israeli raid late on Saturday (May 4)
"The children were playing and they were struck by a missile of drone, Israeli bombardment of missile of drone struck them," said the father, Mahmoud Abu Arar.
Israeli military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Jonathan Conricus said the "Palestinian claims are false" and that the "unfortunate" deaths of the baby and the woman were a result of "the use of weapons by terrorist organisations."
Rockets from Gaza killed three people in an Israeli city while five Palestinian militants died on Sunday in surging cross-border fighting that included a return by Israel to singling out enemy commanders for attack.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he ordered the military to continue "massive strikes" against Gaza's ruling Hamas group and Islamic Jihad, in the most serious border clashes since a spate of fighting in November.
Israel's military said more than 450 rockets, many intercepted by its Iron Dome anti-missile system, have been fired at southern Israeli cities and villages since Friday, and it attacked some 220 targets belonging to Gaza militant groups.
(Production: Abed Shana, Mohammed Shana, Nihad Odeh, Rinat Harash)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None