- Title: Palestinians bury man killed by Israeli forces during weekly protests
- Date: 11th May 2019
- Summary: RAFAH, GAZA (MAY 11, 2019) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS CARRYING BODY OF ABDULLAH ABDELAL AND ENTERING BUILDING BODY ON STRETCHER BEEN TAKEN INTO THE HOUSE CHILD CRYING WOMAN CARRYING A CHILD AND CRYING WOMEN SCREAMING VARIOUS OF WOMEN STANDING NEAR WINDOW AND CRYING VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS MARCHING THE STREETS DURING FUNERAL FUNERAL PROCESSION
- Embargoed: 25th May 2019 12:50
- Keywords: protests Gaza Israel funeral
- Location: RAFAH, GAZA
- City: RAFAH, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AEGEQ87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mourners gathered on Saturday (May 11) for the funeral of a man shot dead by Israeli forces on Friday during weekly protests on the border with Israel.
Health officials in Gaza said 30 other people were wounded by live gunfire during the protest, in which thousands participated, including the 24-year-old male fatality names as Abdullah Abdelal.
An Israeli military spokeswoman said troops, facing around 6,000 Palestinians at the border with Gaza, opened fire when some of them approached the fortified fence.
Egyptian security mediators were visiting the region to cement ceasefire understanding between Israel and Gaza militants, led by the Islamist Hamas group. Their visit follows last weekend's flare-up in fighting, which killed 29 Palestinians, over half them civilians, and four Israeli civilians.
The protesters are demanding an end to an Israeli-Egyptian blockade on Gaza and Palestinians' rights to lands from which their families fled or were forced to flee during Israel's founding in 1948.
Israel sees the protests as potential cover for cross-border attacks and a bid by Hamas to distract from its internal governance problems.
More than 200 Gazans have been killed by Israeli troops since the "Great March of Return" started on March 30, 2018, according to Gaza health officials. An Israeli soldier was also killed by a Palestinian sniper.
(Production: Bassam Masoud, Nihad Shanna, Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None