- Title: Israeli forces kill Palestinian trying to cross border -officials
- Date: 31st May 2019
- Summary: BEIT JALA, WEST BANK (MAY 31, 2019) (REUTERS) MAN KISSING BODY OF PALESTINIAN TEENAGER ABDALLAH GHAITH WHO WAS SHOT DEAD NEAR ISRAELI CHECKPOINT WOMAN CRYING PEOPLE AT HOSPITAL PARAMEDICS IN HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FATHER OF THE TEENAGER WHO WAS SHOT DEAD, LOAI GHAITH, SAYING: "Because he was on his way to pray at al-Aqsa mosque, because he was on his way to al-aqsa mosque. He wanted to pray. They killed him because he was going to pray. A bullet broke through his heart. They were laughing and playing. I raised him for the past 16 years and he was shot dead in a second." VARIOUS OF BODY BEING WHEELED AWAY VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF BEIT JALA HOSPITAL QALANDIYA CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK (MAY 31, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI SOLDIERS AT CHECKPOINT BETWEEN RAMALLAH AND JERUSALEM PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH CHECKPOINT MAN SPRAYING WATER AT PEOPLE ISRAELI SOLDIER AT CHECKPOINT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING AT CHECKPOINT SOLDIER CHECKING IDENTIFY CARD PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH CHECKPOINT
- Embargoed: 14th June 2019 10:23
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians ramadan boy killed checkpoints Friday prayers
- Location: BEIT JALA, QALANDIYA CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK
- City: BEIT JALA, QALANDIYA CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AH8D26F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian teenager who was trying to climb a security fence and cross into Israel from the occupied West Bank on Friday (May 31), an Israeli official and Palestinian witnesses said.
Palestinian witnesses told Reuters the 16-year-old had tried to climb the border fence near Bethlehem in the West Bank to visit Jerusalem during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
Palestinian health officials said the teenager Abdallah Ghaith died from a gunshot and a 21-year-old was also shot and wounded.
A spokesman for Israel's border police said that troops had shot a Palestinian who tried to infiltrate into Israel by scaling the fence and the incident was being investigated.
Israel has been on high alert during the month-long Ramadan holiday, particularly after a stabbing attack in Jerusalem early on Friday in which two Israelis were injured and the assailant was killed.
There have been sporadic Palestinian street attacks on Israelis since U.S.-brokered peace talks broke down in 2014.
Palestinians say many of the attacks are at least partly born out of frustration at Israeli restrictions. Israel says the attacks are fuelled by incitement and sometimes motivated by assailants' personal problems.
Palestinians have said access to the holy city through West Bank check points has been relatively open, with all women and men over the age of 40 being allowed in.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/ Ismail Khadder/ Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None