- Title: YEMEN-SECURITY/HODIEDAH AFTERMATH Air strikes hit Yemen's Hodiedah port
- Date: 27th August 2015
- Summary: HODIEDAH, YEMEN (AUGUST 27, 2015) (REUTERS) SMOKING RISING FROM AL-SHIMA SCHOOL DAMAGED SCHOOL PEOPLE GATHERING AT SCENE DAMAGED BUILDING VARIOUS OF MEN AND WOMEN KISSING A BODY OF A MAN KILLED IN AIR STRIKE WOMEN GATHERING CRYING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OBIAD HASSAN, EYEWITNESS, SAYING: "The air strike targeted al-Shaima girls' school. There were no weapons…after the first airstrike, we went out to see what happened and that's when the second airstrike came. As you see, people were injured and homes and a hotel were damaged and three members of a family were killed." MORE OF DAMAGES BOYS GATHERING AT THE SCENE MAN WALKING , SHATTERED GLASS ON GROUND (SOUNDBITE) (ARABIC) ALI AL NAHARI, EYEWITNESS, SAYING: "This shelling is an attack on the Yemeni people, planned by America, this aggression is not by Ansarallah (Houthis) or the General People's Congress (loyalists of former President Ali Abdullah Saleh). These attacks are targeting all the Yemeni people." BOYS AND MEN GATHERING AT SITE
- Embargoed: 11th September 2015 13:00
- Location: Yemen
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA632H1D5RCDPK66CTPB052UF5P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Saudi-led air strikes pounded the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah Thursday (August 27), hitting a local school and killing two men and child, residents and witnesses said.
This is the second time in two days that the al-Shaima school in Hodeidah has been struck by Arab coalition forces. Residents said members of the Iran-backed Houthis had been meeting in the school at the time of the air strike.
"The air strike targeted al-Shaima girls' school. There were no weapons…after the first airstrike, we went out to see what happened and that's when the second airstrike came," said resident and eyewitness Obiad Hassan.
"As you see, people were injured and homes and a hotel were damaged," said Obaid adding that "three members of a family were killed."
Reuters could not independently confirm the casualties.
Men and women gathered around the body of one of the victims crying and kissing him.
"This shelling is an attack on the Yemeni people, planned by America, this aggression is not by Ansarallah (Houthis) or the General People's Congress (loyalists of former President Ali Abdullah Saleh)," said resident Ali al Nahari.
"These attacks are targeting all the Yemeni people," he added.
Saudi Arabia and its coalition of Sunni Arab allies have been bombing Yemen since March 26, aiming to force the Houthis to retreat from towns and cities they had seized since last year.
In recent weeks, the Saudi-led coalition and its allies on the ground have gained the upper hand, taking back the southern port city of Aden and several other towns and cities as they make their way northwards to the capital Sanaa.
Saudi Arabia and its allies want to maintain the state created in 1990 by the merger of the old north and south Yemen, say informed diplomats, but as anger grows over the humanitarian cost, the possibility of division appears to be growing.
In the north, the Houthis have pounded the Saudi border, determined to ensure coalition victories and continued airstrikes come at a cost. In southern Taiz, fierce fighting and the bombardment of civilians, continues.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None