- Title: Israel demolishes Palestinian homes near West Bank barrier
- Date: 22nd July 2019
- Summary: SUR BAHER, WEST BANK (JULY 22, 2019) (REUTERS) BUILDING BEING DEMOLISHED NEAR MILITARY BARRIER ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF JERUSALEM, SMOKE BILLOWING ALTERNATE ANGLE OF THE BUILDING BEING DEMOLISHED VARIOUS OF BUILDING AFTER IT WAS DEMOLISHED
- Embargoed: 5th August 2019 18:14
- Keywords: Israel forces demolish Palestinian home military barrier
- Location: SUR BAHER, WEST BANK
- City: SUR BAHER, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AOV2VRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Israeli forces demolished a cluster of Palestinian homes near a military barrier on the outskirts of Jerusalem on Monday (July 22), in the face of protests and international criticism.
Israel said the 10 apartment buildings, most of them still under construction, had been built illegally and posed a security risk to Israeli armed forces operating along the barrier that runs through the occupied West Bank.
U.N. officials, who had called on Israel to halt the demolition plans, said 17 Palestinians faced displacement.
Bulldozers accompanied by hundreds of Israeli police and soldiers moved into Sur Baher, a Palestinian village on the edge of East Jerusalem in an area that Israel captured and occupied, along with the West Bank, in the 1967 Middle East War.
Palestinians fear that the razing of buildings near what Israel describes as a security barrier against Palestinian attacks will set a precedent for other towns along its route, which snakes through the West Bank for hundreds of kilometres.
The demolition is part of the latest round of protracted wrangling over the future of Jerusalem, home to more than 500,000 Israelis and 300,000 Palestinians.
(Production: Mohmmed Abu Ganeyeh, Sinan Abu Mizar, Parniyan Zemaryalai)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None