- Title: Israeli bulldozer demolishes Palestinian homes on Jerusalem outskirts
- Date: 22nd July 2019
- Summary: SUR BAHER, WEST BANK (JULY 22, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BULLDOZER DEMOLISHING STRUCTURE MAN LOOKING FROM ROOFTOP AS BULLDOZER DEMOLISHING STRUCTURE MEN LOOKING FROM ROOFTOP MORE OF BULLDOZER DEMOLISHING STRUCTURE MEN WITH YELLOW VESTS AT SITE MORE OF BULLDOZER DEMOLISHING STRUCTURE
- Embargoed: 5th August 2019 07:36
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians Sur Baher East Jerusalem demolition
- Location: SUR BAHER, WEST BANK
- City: SUR BAHER, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AOV13RB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli bulldozers demolished buildings near a military barrier on the outskirts of Jerusalem on Monday (July 22), in the face of Palestinian protests and international criticism.
Bulldozers accompanied by hundreds of Israeli soldiers and police moved in to Sur Baher, a Palestinian village on the edge of East Jerusalem in an area that Israel captured and occupied in the 1967 Middle East War.
Palestinians fear that the razing of homes and buildings near the fence will set a precedent for other towns along the route of the barrier, which runs for hundreds of kilometres around and through the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
The demolition is the latest round of protracted wrangling over the future of Jerusalem, home to more than 500,000 Israelis and 300,000 Palestinians, and sites sacred to Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
Israel's Supreme Court ruled in June that the structures violated a construction ban. The deadline for residents to remove the affected buildings, or parts of them, expired on Friday (July 19).
Some Sur Baher residents said they would be made homeless. Owners said they had obtained permission to build from the Palestinian Authority, which exercises limited self-rule in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
(Production: Sinan Abu Maizer, Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh, Rinat Harash)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None