- Title: Families begin burying Brazil prison riot victims
- Date: 1st August 2019
- Summary: ALTAMIRA, PARA, BRAZIL (JULY 31, 2019) (REUTERS) MAN STANDING IN FOREGROUND OF GRAVEYARD WITH MANY FRESH GRAVES DUG FOR VICTIMS OF BRAZIL PRISON RIOT COFFIN BEING LOWERED INTO GRAVE FAMILY MEMBERS CARRYING COFFIN FAMILY MEMBERS PAYING LAST RESPECTS COFFIN PLACED IN GRAVE PEOPLE COVERING COFFIN WITH DIRT VARIOUS, FAMILY MEMBERS PLACING CANDLES ON GRAVESITE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BROTHER OF THE VICTIM OF PRISON RIOT, JOSIVALDO DE JESUS SILVA, SAYING: "I'm grateful that at least we were able to have a funeral service for him. Because there were some mothers that weren't able to have a (open-casket) service for their sons and I was at least able to have a service for my brother. It was the smoke that killed him so fast." FAMILY MEMBERS PLACING CANDLES ON GRAVESITE VARIOUS, FAMILY MEMBERS PRAYING AROUND COFFIN VARIOUS, BACKHOE DIGGING FRESH GRAVES GRAVEYARD
- Embargoed: 15th August 2019 00:24
- Keywords: jail prison Brazil overcrowding funeral service murder riot victims wake decapitation
- Location: ALTAMIRA, PARA, BRAZIL
- City: ALTAMIRA, PARA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AQ41W07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Family members on Wednesday (July 31) began burying the victims of a deadly riot in a prison in northern Brazil that took place earlier this week.
Dozens of fresh graves were being dug Wednesday in a cemetery in the Brazilian town of Altamira in the state of Para after 57 where killed on Monday (July 29) in an orgy of gang-related bloodletting.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday (July 30) four other inmates were suffocated to death as they were being transported from the same prison.
Brazil has struggled for years to contain prison violence, amid a ballooning prison population that now ranks as the world's third highest. Prisons are overcrowded and staffing is short, with rival gangs often vying for effective control of the facilities.
(Production: Bruno Kelly, Sergio Queiroz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None