- Title: Mexico breaks record for its largest tasty 'torta' sandwich
- Date: 31st July 2019
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (JULY 31, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PERSON SPREADING BEANS ON 'TORTA' SANDWICH VARIOUS, PEOPLE ADDING MEAT INGREDIENTS TO SANDWICH PERSON ADDING CHEESE TO SANDWICH PEOPLE ADDING INGREDIENTS PEOPLE CLOSING SANDWICH PEOPLE CHEERING AFTER FINISHING THEIR PORTION OF TORTA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FOOD FAIR PARTICIPANT, FABIOLA HERNANDEZ, SAYING: "Yes, we broke the record because it started with a torta measuring 38 meters (124 feet) and now it's at 70 some (230 feet)." TORTA ON TABLE / TORTA-MAKING TEAM VARIOUS, PEOPLE PUTTING PIECES OF TORTA ON PLATES, HANDING THEM TO FAIR PARTICIPANTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FOOD FAIR PARTICIPANT, SILVIA TAPIA, SAYING: "Tortas are very traditional here. There's a very large variety of tortas which are delicious. There are big tortas, small ones, however you like them. I recommend them with pierna (pork leg)." PEOPLE CUTTING UP TORTA SPECTATORS WOMAN TAKES A BITE OF TORTA SAYS (Spanish) "DELICIOUS" PEOPLE EATING PEOPLE CUTTING UP TORTA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FOOD FAIR PARTICIPANT, OMAR GARCIA, SAYING: "I got one with sausage, and luckily they gave me another one with meat and salsa - really delicious, really good." PEOPLE CUTTING UP TORTA MAN ANNOUNCING THAT TORTA JUST PRODUCED IS THE LARGEST IN MEXICO PEOPLE EATING TORTA
- Embargoed: 14th August 2019 22:27
- Keywords: Mexico record torta sandwich fair biggest food celebration
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AQ41PON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Crowds gathered in Mexico City on Wednesday (July 31) to watch chefs craft a record breaking super "torta" sandwich. According to organisers, the 72-metre (236-foot) long "torta" sandwich set a new record for the longest such sandwich ever prepared in Mexico.
Different from the traditional sandwich, the torta is bigger in size and can include a variety of products. Thousands of pieces of bread, lettuce, onion and tomato were mixed with myriad ingredients, including hundreds of litres of mayonnaise, mustard and spicy sauces. Each section of the super torta had a different flavour, each representing numerous combinations that local cooks have created over the years.
The torta challenge kicks off a fair aimed at elevating the status of the Mexican sandwich. In recent years the torta has taken a back seat to an increased consumption of mass marketed fast foods.
(Production: Roberto Ramirez, Manuel Carrillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None