- Title: Madrid's Zidane won't be drawn on Bale golf playing rumours
- Date: 31st July 2019
- Summary: MUNICH, GERMANY (JULY 31, 2019) (REUTERS) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE ZIDANE LISTENING TO QUESTION REAL MADRID LOGO (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: (after being asked about a photo of Gareth Bale playing golf) "I don't know. You're telling me something which, well, must have happened. I am here, I'm here with my players, so I can't really say much. I hope that he has trained there. And we are here thinking about the team." MEDIA LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: (to question about whether he is mad about Bale being seen playing golf after player missed Tottenham game claiming he was ill) "Well, we will see when we go back (to Madrid). I'm not going to stop anyone from doing something, you know? Everyone has their own responsibilities and we will see what he's been up to in Madrid. I'm not getting involved with his personal life. He stayed back to train. I think he has trained. And we will see about everything else." VARIOUS OF CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: (to question about conceding so many goals) "Yes, we're going to resolve that, we're going to work hard and I am one with my players. I know we are going to push on and we're going to have a really good season. And that's it. Nobody likes to concede three goals. But the important thing for us is the victory. We won with five goals, and we could have scored more, but that's it." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS MEDIA ZIDANE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 14th August 2019 20:01
- Keywords: Real Madrid Gareth Bale Audi Cup Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane
- Location: MUNICH, GERMANY
- City: MUNICH, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AQ41K5B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Real Madrid beat Istanbul Fenerbahce 5- 3 to take third place in the Audi Cup on Wednesday (July 31) in a tournament preoccupied with the absence of Welshman Gareth Bale.
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane had earlier confirmed that Bale had stayed at home in Madrid on doctor's orders. The coach would not be drawn in on claims Bale had been spotted playing golf, saying Bale was a grown man who could do as he pleased with his personal life.
Zidane and Bale have been at loggerheads after Zidane admitted Bale was not part of his plans for the upcoming season.
A planned high earning transfer of Bale to Jiangsu Suning was cancelled at the last minute by the club heads, leaving trainer and player to face the rest of the season together.
Madrid conceded three goals in their win over the Istanbul side with defensive problems continuing to dog the team.
Real lost to Tottenham on Tuesday (July 30) and had been hoping for a clean sweep against Fenerbahce.
Asked whether he was worried, Zidane said he thought the team was playing well and that he was expecting a strong season.
Tottenham beat Bayern Munich in the Audi Cup final later on Wednesday.
(Production: Ayhan Uyanik, Tanya Wood)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None